Women's Voyageurs Cup West Match 5: Cal vs Edm [R]

DJT

<center>Women's Voyageurs Cup West 2004

Match 5Calgary Wildfire vs. Edmonton AviatorsThursday, July 1, 2004 - 2:00 PM MDT

Calgary Rugby Park, Calgary</center>

Match Previews

[*]Calgary

» WVCW:  0-0-2  1-8  0  /  W-League:  1-0-7  7-25  3

[*]Edmonton

» WVCW:  0-0-2  1-5  0  /  W-League:  4-2-4  15-14  14

» Aviators preview page

Voyageurs Cup

Final:

Calgary 0 Edmonton 1

Flock 53'

From The Calgary Sun:

Flocking to Edmonton

Calgary girl takes flight with Aviators in W-League

By CAMERON MAXWELL, CALGARY SUN

Kendra Flock not only impressed her hometown friends and family on Canada Day, she did it as a member of the opposition. The Edmonton Aviators striker, who hails from Calgary, scored the only goal of the game yesterday as the visitors beat the Calgary Wildfire 1-0 in a W-League game between expansion teams yesterday at the Calgary Rugby Park.

In the process, Flock snapped Calgary's attempt at a win streak with her 53rd-minute marker.

"It's awesome, definitely, to score the winner with my family in the stands -- I'm very happy," said the 18-year-old, who joined the Aviators because they contacted her before Wildfire officials could.

Flock, all alone in front, took a beautiful cross from Carey Gustafson, then beat Calgary 'keeper Vicky Du Plessis with a high, short-range shot.

With the win, Edmonton improves to 5-4-2, while the Wildfire drop to 1-8-0.

"We played well but I think we gave them too much respect and allowed them to play the ball. We didn't finish our chances," said Wildfire assistant coach Peter Malakoane.

"It's frustrating but that's how it goes. We have to stop giving teams respect and doing what they want."

The Wildfire did have several great chances and none better than early on when forward Stephanie Hoogveld pounced on a rebound with Aviators goalie Stephanie Labbe down and out.

But her shot was headed away by an Edmonton defender covering for Labbe, a 'keeper with the national under-19 team.

Yesterday afternoon's lightning delayed the game for 15 minutes early in the first half.

Archived