"Soccer In The New World"

leekoo

COMING UP TONITE ON OMNI1

Friday, May 14, 9pm (eastern time)

Repeats throughout the week

SOCCER IN THE NEW WORLD PART 1 (italian)

Dale Barnes, Producer

(former commissioner of the late great Canadian Soccer League)

Since 1586 when sailors of the HMS Sunneshine played the Eskimo of Gilbert Sound on the West Coast of Greenland during a voyage in search of the Northwest Passage, soccer has been a part of the North American sporting scene.

In fact, the United States was the first sovereign country outside of Great Britian to establish a soccer club and one of the first to form a national governing body. But unlike baseball, basketball, ice hockey and grid iron football, soccer has remained the poor cousin of the North American professional sports scene.

Considering soccer is the World's most popular sport, one has to ask! What on earth went wrong? We look back to the beginning with a cursory glance at its history in North America, and primarily focus on the trails and tribulations of soccer's 'on again off again' professional existence in North America over the past fifty years.

Languages: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, English

http://www.omnitv.ca/tv/docs/episodes/soccer/

Dale Barnes

Executive Producer / Writer / Narrator

dalebarnes.jpg

Dale's broadcasting career has many highlights, including having produced and directed the first colour televised program - Maclure of India, filmed in Ratlam India and broadcast on September 1st 1966. Dale has produced & directed close to 5,000 TV shows, hosted 500 and has written hundreds more. An exemplary host, he has addressed live audiences ranging in size from 50 to 20,000.

Dale brings more than just broadcast experience to the documentary Soccer in the New World - he introduced soccer to the Canadian television audience. He is also an accomplished authority on the sport itself, serving as Commissioner of the Canadian Soccer League from 1986 to 1991 and Chairman of Canada's March to Mexico '86. Dale's keen sports sense was also developed through his cutting edge work at the Fan 590 and other leading sports networks.

I forgot to look out for Part 1 but I accidentally ran into the second half of Part 2 on Friday. They were up to Vancouver winning Soccer Bowl '79 at that point, went on to cover the end of the NASL, Canada at Mexico '86, the CSL and NSL, USA '94 and MLS, a bit on the A-League (including a shot of the Toronto Ultras)... Basically they covered all the basics up to Yallop hired as Canada's coach. There's interviews from several Canadian and American soccer personalities, from players to coaches to the higher-ups.

But I don't know why they list English under "languages" in the summary posted above because the broadcast I saw was all in Italian (with the narrators speaking too fast for me to catch much) and all remaining broadcasts on their schedule are also in Italian (which is quite amazing considering it's doubtful that many Italians would care). Perhaps an e-mail is in order. In any case, at least you do get to see some old footage that's otherwise never shown on TV.

Part 2 repeats this weekend and next week (see the link posted above for the schedule). I think I'll record it...

the english version will be broadcast on cbc sometime soon ...

to get funding the project was produced in 4 languages ...

producer dale barnes will guest on inside soccer talk radio next week saturday may 29, 2004...

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

the english version will be broadcast on cbc sometime soon ...

to get funding the project was produced in 4 languages ...

Thanks. I also wrote to and got a prompt reply from OMNI (very impressive, actually, compared to other television stations I've written to). They said that they will be broadcasting all versions, including the English one, but haven't scheduled them yet.

Archived