"The Other Final"

DJT

The Other Final is the documentary by Dutch filmmaker Johan Kramer about the Bhutan vs. Montserrat friendly played on June 30, 2002. At the time Bhutan and Montserrat were the bottom two teams on FIFA's infamous ranking, and the World Cup Final between Brazil and Germany was also played that day --- hence the title of the film.

The Other Final has been making the film festival rounds since its premiere last year. At the 2003 Banff Mountain Film Festival it was awarded the Grand Prize ahead of about 300 other films from around the world. This festival is now on a "world tour", which means they take the best films and screen them in other cities. Not surprisingly, The Other Final is one of these films, though I don't know if it is screened at every stop on the tour.

I'm posting this now because I just realized that the tour stops in Toronto this weekend (March 26-28). Apparently different films will be shown each evening at 7:30 PM, but the schedule is not on the Web so I don't know if The Other Final was shown on Friday night or if there is still an opportunity to catch it on Saturday or Sunday. All screenings are at the Bloor Cinema so you can call them or Ticketmaster for more details if you're interested.

Unfortunately the tour already visited most Canadian cities during January and February. All that seems to remain are stops in Whitehorse on April 1-2 and Regina on April 30 (though there are a couple of other places with TBAs). It continues through the United States and 26 other countries.

Links:

The Other Final Official Site

2003 Banff Mountain Film Festival

2003 Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour

A thread I started on the Voyageurs forum when the match was played

Archived