More on Hume "Hume chose Canada over Scotland"

Natesta

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/international/scotland/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/03/06/SOCCER_Tranmere_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=scotland

HUME CHOSE CANADA OVER SCOTLAND

By Ken Gaunt, PA Sport

Tranmere striker Iain Hume has revealed he rejected the possibility of playing for Scotland before he opted for Canada instead.

The 20-year-old Edinburgh-born player was a toddler when his parents emigrated.

But he returned to Britain five years ago when Tranmere snapped him up after he was spotted in a tour match.

It was then that he was approached through the club by a representative of Scotland under-16s.

Hume, part of a Rovers team hoping to book an FA Cup semi-final spot at the expense of Millwall, turned down the offer of a trial because he was already advancing through Canada's system.

"I was playing for the under-20s as well as the under-17s and didn't see any reason to go elsewhere," he said.

"There was an indirect approach from Scotland, and I had an interest when I was younger.

"But I am Canadian, and my heart lies in Canada. When I started playing professional I only wanted to play for them."

Hume's parents Eddie - who played rugby for Edinburgh club Boroughmuir - and Wilma will be gathered round the TV set in Brampton, Ontario, to watch their son on Fox Sports.

The Second Division club's remarkable progression to the quarter-finals has been due in no small measure to Hume's contribution.

Spectacular goals from distance against Swansea and Bolton have propelled Hume into the spotlight.

"Those were special moments in my time at the club," he said.

"Mind you, I would settle for a five-yard tap-in against Millwall.

"I just count myself as lucky. I've received massive amounts of publicity, and that has tended to overlook how well we have played as a team in the cup."

Hume's form has not gone un-noticed by some of England's biggest clubs, but he insists he is very content at Prenton Park.

"I am more than happy here," he said.

"I am doing everything I want to do.

"I am at the level at the moment I'd like to be at. My ambition is to get the club into the semi-finals and up the table."

Hume has also got the World Cup qualifiers to look forward to.

New Canada coach Frank Yallop, the former Ipswich defender, has indicated he will be a big part of his future plans.

Hume proved his potential in the World Youth Championships for under-20s in Dubai last December when Canada reached the quarter-finals.

He said: "I put in some good performances down there. I was made up with that.

"I've not had the pleasure of meeting Frank Yallop, but he told me over the phone that he hoped I would be part of the squad.

"What I have to do is keep performing at a high level and make it difficult for him to leave me out."

Archived