Ante Jazic

Guest Georgio

Guest Georgio

Hi everyone,

I have just recently been posting over at a Austrian League soccer board and here are the comments I have recieved about Ante Jazic. Some are very encouraging. Rapid supporters have been kind enough to give us some insight on Ante's playing abilities as they see them.

here is the chat forum:

http://217.196.76.9/austriansoccerboard/index.php?showforum=8

http://217.196.76.9/austriansoccerboard/index.php?showtopic=13213

And here are some of the comments thus far which we can always take with a grain of salt but we must admit these guys are much more knowledgeable then we are about Jazic.

Hello to Canada!

Although i am a bit tired already, i will try to give you a short description of Ante. He is an agile, calm defender whose strengths are his quickness, agility, endurance and tackling. His better leg is the left one. His shooting abilites are average and he is not the very best playing the ball with his head. Regarding his technique i would qualify him as average. On my opinion his biggest weakness (i think you wrote weekness ) is that he should show more courage on the field as he is all other than a "leader" on the field.

However, i hope that this information could at least help you a little and i even hope more that Ante Jazic will retain his position in the National team

Hello Canadafan!

Of course i was talking about his technique when mentioning his head . On the contrary, i think Ante is rather intelligent. I think Ante has a good chance to keep his role as left defender with rapid, although he will have to prove that he is the right man for the job... He is lucky, that on my opinion there is not too much competition regarding the left defence part with rapid. If Ante would play on the right wing, he possibly would be a substitute...

I will go to sleep now. good night!

Hey CanadaFan ! First of all: Welcome to the Austrian Soccer Board !

My opinion about Ante:

Ante is our only solution as a left fullback... his opponent on this position is the Polish player Marcin Adamski, who has a large lack of technique-ability.

Jazic' greatest strength is his pace. As far as I know he is one of the best sprinters (especially on the famous "first meters") in the whole league.

In the defensive role of his fullback-position Jazic plays superb games, players from the opponent side become desperate sometimes, because they have to come over Jazic several times in only one dribbling-situation - he's back behind the ball in seconds...

As Frosch said, his technique and his shooting abilities are average or even weaker, but he showed also nice crosses (especially Ante's assist to Steffen Hofmann in the Bregenz away match, which we won 2:1) or 1-2-passes with Hofmann and Ivanschitz in the running season.

He is a very quiet player, isn't very loud on the pitch, and so are is offensive abilities... it's realy rare that Ante has the heart to try a risky offensive push, so he does not play his role as a fullback in a modern way. Concluding we could say, that Ante is a good defender, who doesn't take part in the side's offensive play very often.

He has also been appointed on the defensive midfield position, where he failed, because he wasn't able to push the game of Rapid Wien.

As we heard from the Rapid Wien board, Jazic earns a lot of money and so they thought about getting rid of him at the end of the running season. But as he is a first team regular at the moment, I can imagine, that his contract will be renewed once more.

He is 28 years old so if he is ever to be a leader on any team, now is a good time to start.

I really can't see him making it to a leader. He is much too silent and insecure.

Regardless of that I like his playing as a full back or a wing. He has well-balanced skills apart from his outstanding quickness.

And my latest question and comments were this:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcoming responses.

Your input is excellent and I will be sharing it with the rest of the Canadian soccer supporters at this website: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/

Please drop by anytime. My name is Georgio and that is who I post as over at the Voyageurs website (the name of the large group of supporters of Canada's National Teams).

I wish you, the Rapid squad and the Austrian National Team well in all football endeavours in upcoming years, unless of course you are to meet Canada at the World Cup (doubtfull but one can dream) in which case I hope we shock you with a stunning upset

If anyone else could share info regarding Ante's personal life in Austria that you are privvy to that would also be awesome to hear. Rumours, embarrasing moments, girlfriends, anything. If not , that's ok, we are most interested in his soccer abilities anyways and it sounds as though he could fit in perfectly with our National squad.

On the subject of maintaining the teams possession of the ball with accurate short and long passes, would you say that Ante does not give the ball away to the opposition? Would you say that he does not make many mistakes while the Rapid are in possession of the ball? I understand that he plays safe, but does Ante give the ball away much? Prior to Ante playing in the left fullback position for Canada we had a player in that position (Richard Hastings) who also played in the Austrian league for GAK and he was just downright scary at times by giving the ball away or miss passing. So you can understand our concern in that regard.

You guys are very helpfull and I hope at some stage we, over at the Canadian Soccer chat forum can also help you with questions in the future.

Take care,

Georgio

Guest Georgio

Here's the latest:

If anyone else could share info regarding Ante's personal life in Austria that you are privvy to that would also be awesome to hear. Rumours, embarrasing moments, girlfriends, anything. If not , that's ok, we are most interested in his soccer abilities anyways and it sounds as though he could fit in perfectly with our National squad.

Sorry, but Ante's personal life is even more quiet than he is on the pitch...

On the subject of maintaining the teams possession of the ball with accurate short and long passes, would you say that Ante does not give the ball away to the opposition? Would you say that he does not make many mistakes while the Rapid are in possession of the ball? I understand that he plays safe, but does Ante give the ball away much? Prior to Ante playing in the left fullback position for Canada we had a player in that position (Richard Hastings) who also played in the Austrian league for GAK and he was just downright scary at times by giving the ball away or miss passing. So you can understand our concern in that regard.

Jazic can be classified two levels higher than Hastings. Hastings for example has not been a first team regular, he was often used in a squad rotation system at GAK.

Jazic' passes are short and safe, but his off the ball behaviour is stunning sometimes. He just passes the ball to the next uncovered team mate, starts a 10 or 20 meter sprint and waits for the 1-2-pass. That is one of the typical routes of Ante Jazic.

He doesn't make many mistakes in passing or crossing, but don't expect spectacular or risky moves or passes from Ante - he is a real safe player...

Moreover I have to say, that it's nice to have you here, Giorgio. It's always cool to discuss about football with foreigners. Hope to see you sometimes again

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

He is a very quiet player, isn't very loud on the pitch, and so are is offensive abilities... it's realy rare that Ante has the heart to try a risky offensive push, so he does not play his role as a fullback in a modern way. Concluding we could say, that Ante is a good defender, who doesn't take part in the side's offensive play very often.

I haven't seen tons of Jazic, but this is what I would have said about him too. And I don't see it as a big weakness. He has pace, but he's a stay-at-home kind of guy and I think that might be necessary with our backline troubles.

As for being a leader, I don't think that's an issue for us, so the fact that he' used to being a role player and not the man may be a good thing.

Thanks for the posts Georgio, made some good reading.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Having not seen Ante until he played for us, this is pretty close to what we have seen. Especially the leadership part, and his lack of participation going forward. If he can anchor our left side and we can put others more comfortable going forward, like Brennan, in the midfield, that would in fact give Brennan even more confidence about taking a risk in attack as he would not have to be obsessed about covering in the back left in case of a counter.

I think most here were not blown away by Ante's play, but he is on a top club in Austria where the demand is always to win, which is a plus. So perhaps we are not going to see much more than what we have already from Jazic, but he can certainly be a useful player for us.

Guest Georgio

I agree with you Matthew and Jeffrey S.,

Ante will fit in nicely as a stay at home player. I have also been hearing on quite a few occasions (by doing searches and using the Google translator on Austrian soccer boards) that Ante has the ability to track down any player in the Austrian league with his pace. That nobody can beat the guy without either being tackled cleanly or pulled down. Which reminds me of that play against Ireland where the foward was assured a quality strike on net with a breakaway and Ante caught him, got himself tangled within the players stride and brought him down in such an awkward way that it appeared to be a tough call for the ref to make, and in many circumstances may have been left a no call. I really liked that tackle.

I agree with you Matthew and Jeffrey S.,

Ante will fit in nicely as a stay at home player. I have also been hearing on quite a few occasions (by doing searches and using the Google translator on Austrian soccer boards) that Ante has the ability to track down any player in the Austrian league with his pace. That nobody can beat the guy without either being tackled cleanly or pulled down. Which reminds me of that play against Ireland where the foward was assured a quality strike on net with a breakaway and Ante caught him, got himself tangled within the players stride and brought him down in such an awkward way that it appeared to be a tough call for the ref to make, and in many circumstances may have been left a no call. I really liked that tackle.

On another note Georgio. I saw Mesut Mert at the airport in Calgary and it seems he has signed to play in Alberta this summer. Any news on that? I also asked him if Ante was his favorite player when he was in Nova Scotia growing up and he said not really he liked watching Steve Hart. Any thoughts :D

Guest Georgio

Wow!

That is an excellent development for Mesut to be playing in Alberta, I'll be able to watch him play live again. Sorry but I have no info on which club he'll be with, A-League or AMSL?? You weren't able to press him on which club were you?

Makes sense that Steven Hart would be prefferable over Ante according to Mesut. They are/were similar type players. In fact, there are quite a few guys that would say the same. I'd watched all three play rather extensively, Ante and Mesut when they were the same age (at different times of course) and Hart as an older player. Ante was just as he is now, but less developed obviously. Ante was a role player and basically perfected being such. Mesut (even at 19) and Hart were (one IS) the type of players to change a game in an instant and the guy you would want with the ball in the last 10 minutes of a 1-1 game.

Mesut was the best I've seen talent wise. One guy was saying on the other board you can't compare them because they were different types of players at different times but you can. Ante also played the same position on occasion as Hart and Mesut did and there can be no doubt who any one player would rather not have to play against - and that is to me the deciding factor.

They were different players yes. But I would still give the nod to Mesut. Mesut plays/ed in a league of more parity and dominated individually. Hart and Jazic played on teams that dominated or atleast on paper should have dominated every game ........ and in particular Jazic was never the player unless someone brought up his u-12 accomplishments who was feared.

Ante was the best left-half, left-fullback to ever come out of the Maritimes. And Mesut is best offensive player. But if you asked me and most anyone:

All players on the field being equal but one exception and you get to choose, would you rather the best, most dangerous offensive player on your team or the best, most solid, role player on your team for a tournament final. I'd go with the dangerous dude.

That's my take on it, and I think the people of Alberta are in for a treat if which ever team he is on uses Mesut properly.

Wow!

That is an excellent development for Mesut to be playing in Alberta, I'll be able to watch him play live again. Sorry but I have no info on which club he'll be with, A-League or AMSL?? You weren't able to press him on which club were you?

Makes sense that Steven Hart would be prefferable over Ante according to Mesut. They are/were similar type players. In fact, there are quite a few guys that would say the same. I'd watched all three play rather extensively, Ante and Mesut when they were the same age (at different times of course) and Hart as an older player. Ante was just as he is now, but less developed obviously. Ante was a role player and basically perfected being such. Mesut (even at 19) and Hart were (one IS) the type of players to change a game in an instant and the guy you would want with the ball in the last 10 minutes of a 1-1 game.

Mesut was the best I've seen talent wise. One guy was saying on the other board you can't compare them because they were different types of players at different times but you can. Ante also played the same position on occasion as Hart and Mesut did and there can be no doubt who any one player would rather not have to play against - and that is to me the deciding factor.

They were different players yes. But I would still give the nod to Mesut. Mesut plays/ed in a league of more parity and dominated individually. Hart and Jazic played on teams that dominated or atleast on paper should have dominated every game ........ and in particular Jazic was never the player unless someone brought up his u-12 accomplishments who was feared.

Ante was the best left-half, left-fullback to ever come out of the Maritimes. And Mesut is best offensive player. But if you asked me and most anyone:

All players on the field being equal but one exception and you get to choose, would you rather the best, most dangerous offensive player on your team or the best, most solid, role player on your team for a tournament final. I'd go with the dangerous dude.

That's my take on it, and I think the people of Alberta are in for a treat if which ever team he is on uses Mesut properly.

Mesut is with the Mustangs.

Guest Georgio

Here is the latest. If the nice people over at the Austrain board will ciontinue to answer my questions, I will also post these details on the player's abroad weekly updates. And I will attempt to continue to do so once this thread dies.

Well it appears as though Rapid Wien have tied Bregenz 1-1 according to the official website. And it also appears that Ante Jazic recieved favorable comments from a lot of people in that game (on the officail website and from you guys). I use the Google Translator Tool to attempt at translating your guy's comments regarding Ante and it sounds as though he almost scored with a nice crack at goal (hit's the post). The Google Translator does not work that great so maybe someone here could give a little detail if you have the time.

I think comments mentioned that he was getting forward in yesterday's game. Maybe Ante has been reading your comments and wishes to improve in that regard

From the comments it also seems that some of you were surprised by Ante's play because it is rare that he get's forward in the offense. Maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Dannyo, Sladdi, or Frosch???

Was Ante making overlapping runs in this game or was it his routine 10 - 20 meter give and go sprints?

Yesterday he did very well in the offense, had some good assists (after a Jazic cross our new striker Axel Lawaree hit the post) in the first half of the game.

On the left back side he did, as usual, a secure and good defensive game. His opponent never had a chance.

But in the second half he disappeared a little, didn't head to the offensive, which was a little scary, because in the second half he had a nice partner on the left side with Sebastian Martinez, who played a nice game...

Next game: Saturday in the afternoon at our beloved Hanappi Stadion, or as we call it "St.Hanappi", against FC Kärnten, who is last in the league table at the moment.

Hi Canadafan!

You are right. Ante was not as cautious as he usually is. He played a rather offensive role against Bregenz and had some good crosses (i dont know if it is the correct term-i mean that he played the ball high towards the opponent team's goal coming from the left wing ). He certainly was one of our best players yesterday which you also can see in the thread "wer war bester Spieler gegen Bregenz".

See you

Frosch

had some good crosses (i dont know if it is the correct term-i mean that he played the ball high towards the opponent team's goal coming from the left wing ).

Yes, had some good crosses

Here's the voting for the best Rapid player against Bregenz.

http://217.196.76.9/austriansoccerboard/index.php?showtopic=13284

I voted but I'm not sure I should as I did not see the game of course.

Archived