FOOTBALL: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE FOR AXED STARS

Relient k Mike

FOOTBALL: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE FOR AXED STARS Jan 17 2004

BOBBY HAS SYMPATHY

By John Docherty

BOBBY WILLIAMSON understands the frustrations of frozen-out Hibs pair Jarkko Wiss and Paul Fenwick because he's been there himself.

Finnish midfielder Wiss has only played seven games this season.

His last first-team outing was in October, in the 2-0 defeat by Livingston, who host Hibs today.

Canadian international defender Fenwick hasn't even featured this season after Williamson signed Ulsterman Colin Murdock.

But as a result of injury problems to his side, both Wiss and Fenwick are back in the reckoning.

Williamson has praised the players for their professionalism at the same time pointing out that he endured the same frustration when playing for West Brom.

The Hibs gaffer said: ''Jarkko Wiss and Paul Fenwick have always been part of the squad, they have just not been used as much as they would have liked. But they have been very professional about the situation, they have worked away and are back involved.

'' T he y ar e pr ofes - sional players. T her e h a v e b e e

n o fallouts. I spoke to both these players a

d the y k

o w the situation, I h a v e b e e

totally u p fr ont with them.

''They have shown their professionalism by training week in week out without having any rewards by getting a game.

''I remember at West Brom, I was always involved but I was always on the bench, and never really got a chance to establish myself.

''I think I scored about 30 goals for the reserves that year but Ron Atkinson, in his wisdom, decidedto go with Andy Gray and Don Goodman and I was left kicking my heels on the bench.

''I never rattled the manager's door to see why he never picked me. I was just professional, I kept my head down and got on with it and was rewarded with a free at the end of the season!

''Paul was notified I was bringing in another centre-half and I was up front with him. I told him his chances would be limited and that has proved to be the case.

''Jarkko was going through a period at the time when he was not doing himself justice and I had a chat with him and decided to leave him out of the team.''

Hibs are determined to make up for losing 2-0 to Livingston in October.

Williamson said: ''Our aim is to test the team immediately above you and it's no easy task. Livingston came through to Easter Road earlier in the season, played very well and got the three points.

''W e were disappointed in our performance and the manner in which we conceded the goals. I h o p e to see a better display.''

With midfielder Grant Brebner a long-term injury casualty, Kevin Nicol, 22 on Monday, is hoping he could be given his first start.

Nicol said: ''I've not really had an opportunity as yet and if I do get one I hope to make the most of it. I want to do my best and give the manager a headache.

''I am confident enough in my own ability I can do it. I'll soon be 22 and I really need to kick on and start pressing for games.

''But when you see the other young boys getting a game it gives you heart.''

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/content_objectid=13826025_method=full_siteid=89488_headline=-FOOTBALL--PATIENCE-IS-A-VIRTUE-FOR-AXED-STARS-name_page.html

Archived