Brunt gives thumbs up to Yallop on 'The Reporters'

JayWay

On this weeks edition of The Reporters (OTR style show on TSN, but with actual sports reporters, not know nothing celebrities) the Frank Yallop story was given some air time.

For those who have not seen the show, at the end there is a segment where each guest gives a sports story from that week a thumbs up or thumbs down. Steven Brunt gave the Yallop story the thumbs up saying that it's time for Canada to return to a North American solution but that making the World Cup is a tough road and "best of luck to ya, Frank"

Nice little surprise on a very good show.

I don't think it's that big a surprise. Brunt is a huge soccer fan. The main reason why he doesn't talk about it more is that he is more of a columnist than a reporter these days. He comments on the big stories of the day. Unfortunately, soccer doesn't get there often, but when there is a soccer-worthy story, he's always there.

I'd suggest his favourite sports are: boxing, CFL, and Canadian soccer. I never got the impression he's a big hockey guy, but in Canada, how can you not write about hockey?

Jason

You're right Jason, Brunt does deliver on soccer when he gets the opportunity. He was effusive in his praise for Euro 2000 in the Globe during that tournament and of course wrote that it was time for Canada's nowhere man (Tomasz Radzinski) to come home and play for Canada after his fantastic run in the Champions League with Anderlecht a couple of years ago. He's written other soccer columns as well, including one where he mentioned that it was time for the CSA to change management (if I recall correctly; I think that was back in 2001). Hopefully the MNT gives him more reasons to write about Canadian soccer in 2004.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I don't think it's that big a surprise. Brunt is a huge soccer fan. The main reason why he doesn't talk about it more is that he is more of a columnist than a reporter these days. He comments on the big stories of the day. Unfortunately, soccer doesn't get there often, but when there is a soccer-worthy story, he's always there.

I'd suggest his favourite sports are: boxing, CFL, and Canadian soccer. I never got the impression he's a big hockey guy, but in Canada, how can you not write about hockey?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

You're right Jason, Brunt does deliver on soccer when he gets the opportunity. He was effusive in his praise for Euro 2000 in the Globe during that tournament and of course wrote that it was time for Canada's nowhere man (Tomasz Radzinski) to come home and play for Canada after his fantastic run in the Champions League with Anderlecht a couple of years ago. He's written other soccer columns as well, including one where he mentioned that it was time for the CSA to change management (if I recall correctly; I think that was back in 2001). Hopefully the MNT gives him more reasons to write about Canadian soccer in 2004.

Blair

cheers....and i hope the MNT gives him some more POSITIVE reason to write about

Archived