Justin Thompson scores two for Bury

George

Bury FC: Two goal Justin earns reserves a victory

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashire/bury/sport/SHAKERSTOP0.html

BURY'S Canadian U-23 international defender Justin Thompson scored twice as the Shakers' second string defeated Wrexham 3-1 at the Racecourse Ground on Wednesday evening.

A lacklustre first half ended goalless but the game exploded into life four minutes after the interval when slack defending allowed Mark Duffy in to fire past Lewis Solly.

Within five minutes Bury were level when Thompson climbed high above the Welshmen's defence to powerfully head a George Clegg corner home.

The 22-year-old repeated the feat after 61 minutes when he beat Reds' goalkeeper Danny Evans to the ball to put the Shakers in front.

To wrap the game up a George Clegg free kick from outside the area made it 3-1 for the Shakers who just about did enough to win.

Thompson's fellow Canadian international Terry Dunfield has been talking about the pair's experience at the Olympic qualifying matches against El Salvador.

The Canuks got through on a penalty shootout after a 1-0 defeat in San Salvador was matched by a single goal win in British Columbia.

Speaking on the Bury FC official website he said: "It was probably about 32 degrees in El Salvador then something like 10 below when we arrived back in Canada.

"We couldn't even train on the pitch the night before the game because there was five inches of lying snow.

"The defeat in the first leg wasn't a bad result really considering the conditions and the fact they had 30,000 watching.

"Then back in Vancouver we won through and although I missed two penalties the team played really well and it looks promising for the next round in Mexico."

Predictably Dunfield's Gigg Lane teammates didn't let him get away with his spot-kick misery.

"I got some stick from the lads when I got back. Colin Woodthorpe even phoned me to say we'd be doing some penalty practice .

"But the gaffer has told me to just concentrate on the games ahead, it's a big time for us coming up to Christmas."

Archived