News Rasih Pala in Turkey

Luis_Rancagua

It appears that Rasih Pala has finally made the 1st team action. I also verified another info: Pala was included in the line-up of Buyukbehir Belediye's last game on Nov-23/2003, but Pala was not the starting keeper (he was only warming the Bench). I don't expect him to replace so suddenly the starting keeper. Let's remember that Pala did spend 3-months with the reserve squad.

Article by:

Sean Connor - Sports Reporter

sconnor@northernstar.info

Justin McCareins, Ryan Diem and Rasih Pala are just three of eight NIU alumni who have become professional athletes.

These days, McCareins is catching touchdowns for the Tennessee Titans and Diem is blocking for quarterback Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts.

Pala, on the other hand, is playing in his first year for the Buyukbehir Belediye Sport Kulubu soccer team in Turkey.

“I have been here before on vacation, but living here did take some getting use to,” Pala said in an e-mail interview. “The transition has been great so far.”

Born in Turkey, Pala’s family migrated to Markham, Ontario, Canada. At NIU, Pala played goalkeeper for four years for the Huskies, beginning in 1999.

Pala’s team competes in the second Division A-class in Turkey. This division is one level below the Super League, which is the country’s premier soccer league. The Super League accepts the top three teams of 18 in Pala’s division for next season.

“Making the Super League is very difficult, but you never know how the season will turn out,” Pala said. “There are still 22 games left, plus the Turkish Cup.”

His team began the season 5-4-1 and was in eighth place before losing its last three games, including a first-round exit from the Turkish Cup on Nov. 12.

The Turkish Cup is a midseason tournament for all teams in the Super League, and Second Division A and B-class. Pala’s team lost 2-1 in the first round to Zonguldak, a Second Division B-class team.

Now standing at No. 11 in its division with a 5-7-1 record, Pala’s team has 21 games left.

The first time Pala saw action this season was on Nov. 16. He played 23 minutes at the end of a 2-0 loss to Dardenalspor.

“This is hopefully just the beginning,” Pala said. “It is a waiting process, and my development is the most important right now. I have to really utilize my opportunities when I get the chance.”

Archived