Now what!

shaku_bert

we are going to wait 4 months until February '04 and then throw a bunch of guys together for a WCQ match that will actually mean something. Then we'll beef that our back line stinks in the first half because none of them even really recognize each by looks. Doesn't matter if we trot donkeys like Watson out. It'll be a catastrophe in midfield and defense and Radz and Dero will sit up front picking their noses because they get no service.

Sometimes I wonder why Stalteri bothers. He is a great player yet we play him all over the field except where he is most effective.

In hind sight, the whole spectacle was bizarre. It's a friendly and didn't mean anything. Is there a better opportunity to blood the youngsters, to play the people who will be the future of the team, to get the players who will be playing in WCQ used to playing where we will slot them in for games that mean something, to get them used to playing with the players who will be part of WCQ? But nope, we call up loyal servants who simply won't be part of WCQ because their time has gone. We play 4-4-2 and then 4-3-3 (OK we looked better at 4-3-3). We play the guys who will be part of the team where they shouldn't be playing. And guys like Kluko, Poz, Reda, DeGu aren't given a chance so they are still green at international levels which is just one more reason not to call them next time.

Certainly we can't go into a place like finland and just play the kids. But, to borow a line from Holger, we know what Watson can bring. So why bother in a friendly.

I will finish the angry part of my rant by saying Hastings and Imhof and Watson must be given a hearty slap on the back with a sincere "Thanks for your dedicated service!" and then politely asked not to come back any more. Could Hasting milk THAT GOAL anymore?

On a happy note, we have to be pleased with our strike force! Pesch shouldn't start but he could be a fine sub. And Derosario is a revelation! Radz is class! And, in net, Lars is very strong.

Archived