Internal Problems

eastcoaster

Prior to yesterdays Japan game, Dobson mentioned internal problems within the team. However, in typical Sportsnet fashion they didnt give any details. Does anyone know what is going on. Is it serious or could it be (and forgive me for sounding a little sexist) the fact that our team is a bunch of late teens/early 20's, and sometimes cliques often form at that age for girls, and as they mature out those problems will end.

I know there are some of you on the board who are quite close to the team..so we need details, cause obviously we cannot rely on the journalists who are there (even though they know whats going on).

i don't think that "internal problems" was the right label ... it was more of the team not performing well and their confidence sagging.

i know for a fact that the whole team gets along fantastically and while yes, there is an obvious age difference b/t some of the players, that is not an issue. team chemisty is great and they have been together for more than a year, some for several years (the majority of them), so everyone knows each other well.

the "internal problem" is/was not something amongst the players, but just about getting the team back to where it was in the summer, and having everyone on the same page again ready to fight and show the world what they could do. all in the head etc

there is tremendous team unity on team canada, and i think after yesterday's game they will be focused and ready to move on from the dismal start.

elaine

it seemed like they almost had a mental breakdown. After the successful summer they had, they came into the WC on a very high high. Then maybe nerves and pressure got to them and they started to fall apart. They couldn't regain themselves for the argentina game and played like they didn't even care about it. That left them in a due-or-die situation. Win: go to Portland. Lose or draw: go home. They had to realize what they really wanted and the fact that it's the world cup. They did some team building the couple days before the game- held "player only" meetings everyday, went bowling, went to a hockey game, those black bracelettes they wore, etc.

Archived