Oldham Athletic on the brink of collapse

littleD

Latics' owner Chris Moore has been holding talks with a prospective investor about a potentially crucial injection of cash.

And the outcome of those discussions could decide the fate of the cash-strapped Second Division club.

Manager Iain Dowie explained: "I have spoken to Chris a couple of times and I am well aware of how perilous the financial situation is.

"The whole future of the club is at stake and the situation is grim.

"I have heard the word liquidation mentioned and, though not a businessman, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise how serious the situation is."

Players may have to be sold even if the club can be kept afloat.

Dowie told the Oldham Chronicle: "At the moment I cannot talk to any of the out-of-contract players because I have been given no budget.

"It looks on the brink of total collapse and unlikely I will get the chance to take the club forward. Unless there is massive investment it looks as though the team will be broken up."

Oldham were losing a reported £50,000 a week at times last season and despite major cut-backs, Moore, the club's former chairman, may not be prepared to continue to fund the shortfall.

Archived