update: torontosupport.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 08, 2003

Toronto 1 – Montreal 0

I expected another narrow loss. I foresaw the type of game that Toronto/Montreal encounters are known for.

I was wrong and glad for it.

Toronto played great. They played like a team, and you may think that’s not a lot to ask. But please, tell me it wasn’t like watching an entirely different team today. Possession was good, the chances on goal were multitudinous and the match was exciting.

Toronto really deserved this one. The players deserved it and so did the fans. The only thing better would be watching Toronto win in Montreal. But I’ll take it one step at a time.

I have never said the Impact defense wasn’t solid. Ngon deserves to be man of the match for surprising them. It was bad luck for Montreal, but I applaud Ali for finally capitalizing on a great chance. Even so, if it hadn’t been for some dubious finishing, it could’ve been 6-0. They left it late enough, but the result was the one we had all hoped for.

Veenhof was impressive and kept a cool head. Barclay was dangerous, so was Lucas. Ashton was not only dangerous, but also menacing. I was amazed. Thomas, Vincello, Hughes, di Placido and Mattacchione all deserve a nod. If we can see more football like this for the rest of the season, I’ll be happy no matter what happens.

A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, decided not to attend this match on the grounds that having a “girl power” theme was downright silly. No offence to worldwide girl power or anything, but all these themes are simply ridiculous. I now have concrete proof that the oozing cheesines of this programme actually keeps people away from the stadium. If any one has any data on how these theme nights actually contribute to club revenue, please let me know. I must say, however, that this particular theme seemed to go by without me noticing. I will cast my vote and say that Girl Power night is the least noxious of all theme nights. I wish the same could be said for the horrific nightmare that was last year’s Latin Night. I still occasionally wake up at night from a hideous dream in a rough sweat screaming, “Fat a-cappella Ricky Martin with hot dancers…Noooooooooooooooo!”

You know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and by the way, I’m still impressed with the media coverage, I can guarantee that someone at work tomorrow will walk up to me and say, “So, the Lynx won last night”. Last year, they wouldn’t even have had access to that information.

Someone deserves a raise, and this time it's not me.

Archived