Jeffrey S. please post...

George

...details about Greece vs. Spain

Greek teams have had some success in Spain this year!!

First AEK with the draw against Real Madrid and now a tremendous 1-0 victory for the Greek nats!!

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

Guest Jeffery S.

Okay.

First off I think everyone recognizes that Greek club teams have improved a lot in recent years. Perhaps they are close to pushing into the privileged final 8s of Europe soon, but there being not just one but maybe three top teams perhaps some of the Greek talent and money for foreign players is spread around and that affects the overall strength of any one team. Certainly Greek sides playing at home are often worrisome, as crowds are great, intense (similar to Turkey, have to say, or am I wrong to compare crowd ambience?)

Spain completely dominated the first half and was perhaps unlucky not to score. Even then I think they had over 60% of possession. Greece scored on their first real shot, a fine one, and then defended in much the same way they had begun. Only by stepping a bit further back and absorbing Spanish speed on the wings they held up well. Just think that neither Vicente 1st half nor De Pedro, nor Joaquim, really did anything that well down the sides. Spain bogged down with 10 Greek players behind the ball and could not really threaten. Raul made some nice dribbles but was outnumbered in the middle and couldn't get through. A fine victory by Greece, something you could even smell some 20 minutes from the end, Spain was just not going to get through.

Spain is a technical side that is a bit weak physically, perhaps lacking a bit of the classic Spanish "fury" or just plain "balls" as they say here (cojones). Also the league is still full swing, players are burnt out, all those Real Madrid guys just can't be fully focused on the nats.

Must say the Greek side was very well balanced, the central defenders were very competent as was the keeper; perhaps lacked some real flash up front, Tsartas who I recall from his Seville days was subbed out first half (I think not injured either, he told the Spanish press as he left the field that "This guy (the coach) always makes me pay for whatever is going wrong with Greece" or something similar). But physically and technically Greece did very well and has put a bit of emotion in the group, though Spain is still out front and likely favorite.

Thanks Jeffrey,

I just saw the goal. It was quite pretty—Galeano would have been proud!

Impressive runs by Panathinaikos and AEK in Europe over the past two years attests to the skill of Greek players. I would suggest that they have been chronic underachievers internationally.

The runner up in the group will be decided Wednesday when Greece takes on the Ukraine in Athens. If my boys fail to win it at home, they don’t deserve to go to Portugal. The crowd will be insane!

PS There is a Canadian connection to all this. One of Greece’s starting strikers (Charisteas) is a teammate of Paul Stalteri.

"A pretty move, for the love of God."

Eduardo Galeano

Archived