CNL: Canada vs Honduras - Tuesday, March 28th, 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Toronto

If we're talking a send-off for Atiba here, does it really matter if he has his moment where he is withdrawn from the game to get his recognition? Surely the ovation can be just as big if we bring him on in the second half?

That said, I didn't think he was that poor vs Curacao. All things considered (the pitch, the lack of intensity due to scoreline and a man up, subs all over the shop, etc.) I thought he did fine. He did seem to be moving a bit better than in Qatar. And in the midfield battle, he'd probably be facing a lesser caliber of opponent with Honduras than Curacao. I don't think he should start but I don't think it's the end of the world if he does.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Well it's him or Kone but I would prefer Kone's range if we're starting Atiba.

Oso didnt start the last time we played Honduras in Toronto in the first match of WCQ so not totally unheard of

I don't see us starting Atiba and Kone and Eustaquio at the same time in the same midfield. Not an impossibility, but not likely in my opinion. 

I can actually see Atiba start in the middle of a back 3 before I see that. Cornelius would be a good choice, but I think Eustaquio and Kone need to start, and again I don't think Atiba alongside them gives us the sort of linkage with the frontline we get with Osorio. 

Edited by Obinna

34 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

As far as the Hondurans are concerned, this is what I’ve rounded up… They arrived in Toronto last Thursday to acclimatize to the conditions.  I’ve read that Luis Palma (one of their brighter prospects) may be out due to illness.  Alberth Elis didn’t make the trip (travel document issue). 

Yes, they've been training in Mississauga for the past several days.

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

And the talk of Atiba starting has officially begun…..if he does the respect for Atiba is officially impacting the team.

I don't know about that. While I prefer Atiba to come off the bench in this one, him starting is not the end of the world, nor does it suggest the respect for Atiba is negatively impacting the team. I get where you are coming from my man, but that's a pretty big leap to take.

This is a big game and it's not like starting Brym or Loturi or Hiebert, someone who may be overawed by the occasion.  We know what he brings, and he literally started in the World Cup like 4 months ago. Again, not my choice but we'll be fine with him in the side. I have confidence that he'll put in a good performance if called upon from the start. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think Kone sits to start with Staq, Atiba and Oso as the mid trio, and Kone coming on for Atiba at a predetermined 60th or 65th minute.  

Hutch gets the start in a home send-off, and gets a huge moment of recognition when he leaves the field to a standing ovation.  

I think, if anyone, Osorio sits to start. Kone and Eustaquio were pulled early for a reason last match.

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think, if anyone, Osorio sits to start. Kone and Eustaquio were pulled early for a reason last match.

Perhaps it just means Osorio won't go the full 90. 

I think @dyslexic nam prediction is likely, but I can also see a world where we start with Kone, Eustaquio, Oso right away, with one of Kone or Oso coming out for Hutchinson to help shut down shop. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't know about that. While I prefer Atiba to come off the bench in this one, him starting is not the end of the world, nor does it suggest the respect for Atiba is negatively impacting the team. I get where you are coming from my man, but that's a pretty big leap to take.

This is a big game and it's not like starting Brym or Loturi or Hiebert, someone who may be overawed by the occasion.  We know what he brings, and he literally started in the World Cup like 4 months ago. Again, not my choice but we'll be fine with him in the side. I have confidence that he'll put in a good performance if called upon from the start. 

His start at the WC was literally the last time he got significant minutes, and the talk on this board was how the amount of minutes he got at the WC, based on the quality he showed, was a huge mistake.

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

His start at the WC was literally the last time he got significant minutes, and the talk on this board was how the amount of minutes he got at the WC, based on the quality he showed, was a huge mistake.

He was quite good in his 30 minutes off the bench against Morocco, and don't think Honduras will overrun us in the mid like Croatia. Should still do well with a 60 minute last hurrah.

4 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

He was quite good in his 30 minutes off the bench against Morocco, and don't think Honduras will overrun us in the mid like Croatia. Should still do well with a 60 minute last hurrah.

Atiba was actually decently effective vs Croatia after we moved to a 3-man midfield in the second half. 

7 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

What @sebdeserio basically said. 

He wasn't terrible in the world cup in retrospect, and the "mistake" was Hutchinson in a two-man midfield, not Hutchinson period. And to be honest I think it was more about the two-man midfield than it was about Hutchinson himself, who admittedly looked a little off the pace overall, but we also faced the World No. 2 and two semi-finalists, teams another echelon or two above the likes of Honduras.

If that level of competition at the World Cup still wasn't enough to finally make Hutchinson look his age, then Besiktas would have signed him to another extension by now and begged him not to retire! 😄

2 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

My biggest regret from the World Cup — even more than the penalty miss — was that Atiba's header against Morocco wasn't two inches lower. For all he's done for Canada, it would have been so well deserved if he had scored a goal at a World Cup.

I get what you’re saying, but who knows how different it is if we go up 1-0 early in that Belgium game..

As for the game tonight, pretty excited. Good to be back playing these stiffs. Actually sitting in the voyageurs section this time. Hoping St Clair gets the start but I doubt it will happen 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What are our spy drone images telling us?

That the Hondurans are working hard preparing to overcome our nefarious bureaucratic assault.  They are training hard on the ArriveCan app, healthcare forms related to COVID boosters, and navigating the TTC FAQ site to figure out how they can trade in their bus and subway tokens.  Alberth Elis is training separately from the rest of the squad -- he is working over Zoom with the physio on American Green Card procedures.

Edited by shorty