Left Back Depth

Shway

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Crazy how much deeper the depth chart looks when you include your best LB

Do you think Davies see's himself as a LB? He definitely doesn't for Canada. 

I hate when it gets mentioned here, and I hate that we saw that in the World Cup where he had to act like he was God and work twice as hard to be involved. 

You'll also notice that Bayern having been slowing putting him higher up the pitch with clear results.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:59 AM, Shway said:

It's the year 2023

And here's the way that I see it.

1. Adekugbe
2. Edwards
3. Abzi
4. Petrasso
5. Gutierrez
6. Bassong

I'm of the opinion that the best LB in the world should play LB for us and not just for Bayern. Looking back at the World Cup, speed was missing at the back.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm of the opinion that the best LB in the world should play LB for us and not just for Bayern. Looking back at the World Cup, speed was missing at the back.

I get the notion, but the reality is he's our best attacker full stop. 
And also at Bayern he's been recently rotating into the middle (LM) with great results.

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

I get the notion, but the reality is he's our best attacker full stop. 
And also at Bayern he's been recently rotating into the middle (LM) with great results.

Is he though? I'd certainly consider him our best player, but I think we have several players with better attacking instincts. There are signs in recent games that we're finally starting to see Davies choose the right pass more regularly, he's still nowhere near as predatory in front of goal as David or Larin IMO

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Is he though? I'd certainly consider him our best player, but I think we have several players with better attacking instincts. There are signs in recent games that we're finally starting to see Davies choose the right pass more regularly, he's still nowhere near as predatory in front of goal as David or Larin IMO

Who is a better attacker.
Who has better 1v1 ability. 
Who is faster.
Who is a better chance creator. 

Finishing is the only thing I will debate.
And I'm not suggesting he should play at the 9 position. 

Edited by Shway

Interested to see if Raposo can make it work as a fullback in Vancouver. On the ball, he’s an excellent crosser. He covered both wing/wingback positions in a back three/five last year, but it remains to be seen whether he can up his defensive game enough to play in a back four. 

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Who is faster.

David's definitely a better chance creator. But when he isn't playing hero ball I agree that Davies is the best overall attacker. Recently we haven't seen that though.

6 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

David's definitely a better chance creator. But when he isn't playing hero ball I agree that Davies is the best overall attacker. Recently we haven't seen that though.

Recently David hasn’t been good for Canada either. Compare their last 8 games for Canada and tell me what you get. 

David is a better finisher. But I’ll disagree on the chance creating. Davies, then Buchanan for me before David. And it’s just the nature of their positions.

33 minutes ago, Shway said:

Who is faster.

For me it's largely about what parts of the field they excel in, and in what positions. I've always maintained that Davies is more of a threat from deeper with more space in front of him. He is improving in deeper positions though. When he plays more advanced for Canada I think he's mostly a threat on the counter, if he can get in behind, or if he's running at a defender one on one. That's not our game plan in every match though.

We have a lot of players better at creating room in tight spaces, with their backs to goal, or at anticipating where they need to be in front of goal. I think Buchanan/Hoilett are better options on the wing when needing to break down a compact defense. Potentially others as well. If we're the controlling team, or we're down a goal, I would probably want Davies at LB. In other scenarios I might play him up front. 

29 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

We have a lot of players better at creating room in tight spaces, with their backs to goal, or at anticipating where they need to be in front of goal. I think Buchanan/Hoilett are better options on the wing when needing to break down a compact defense. Potentially others as well. If we're the controlling team, or we're down a goal, I would probably want Davies at LB. In other scenarios I might play him up front. 

Yea strongly disagree with that, especially the Hoilett part.

I hate seeing Davies at LB as he tends to work and do more than the guy in front of him. And we saw that when Herdman was wrong and strong about the same sentiment you have. 

Davies at LB creates too much gaps, as he wants to be an attacker and not an out and out fullback. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Davies at LB creates too much gaps, as he wants to be an attacker and not an out and out fullback. 

The last paragraph of your post is the main issue with him at LB for Canada. While Bayern's defence is not great, it's still miles better and faster than ours and Bayern have Kimmich for cover. So Davies can push up high without serious implications for Bayern defensively. That would not work with Canada. Now if we had one or two top 5 league CBs that may be different.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:13 PM, Shway said:

Yea strongly disagree with that, especially the Hoilett part.

I hate seeing Davies at LB as he tends to work and do more than the guy in front of him. And we saw that when Herdman was wrong and strong about the same sentiment you have. 

I actually agree that hoilett is more of a "lock picker" than davies. When a team sits in a low block, it prevents davies from running into space. We saw this at the world cup. Davies just dribbles and ends up hitting road blocks. Hoilett is better suited for playing an incisive pass. Vs a low block, davies at LB allows for us to switch the ball quickly and then he's already running at pace, while the opposing team is shifting. He'll most likely get 2-3 defenders attracted to him during their shifting and hopefully he can find the open player. If hes too high up the field as a winger, then the switch typically goes to our LB who plays it to davies who is stationary or not at top speed. This extra step allows the defense more time  to shift and forces davies into a dribble with less space. 

Theoretically, I would say LB is our strongest position. 

1. Davies 
2. Adekugbe
3. Laryea
4. Edwards
5. Petrasso
6. Abzi
7. Raposo
8. Guti
9. Bassong
10. choiniere ? - I am not sure how his role at wingback would translate to a proper LB. 
11. ali ahmed
12. Miller/Kennedy/Cornelius

Striker could be up there too:
1. david
2. larin
3. ugbo
4. Cav
5. Jebbison
6. Brym
7. Akinola
8. Ennin