Match Thread: CONCACAF U-17, Semi-Final: Canada v USA - Friday, February 24, 2023 - 5pm PT/8pm ET

narduch

I watched the  match on FS2 and the play by play guy mentioned that the American team had played a number of European and South American teams (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France etc) in this cycle. I don't want to make excuses but it makes me wonder if the CSA had the money for friendlies like the American team, how good would this Canuck team be.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I watched the  match on FS2 and the play by play guy mentioned that the American team had played a number of European and South American teams (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France etc) in this cycle. I don't want to make excuses but it makes me wonder if the CSA had the money for friendlies like the American team, how good would this Canuck team be.

Agreed - I think the key sometimes isn’t even the quality of competition (although that helps) but rather finding the chemistry and cadence of playing more together in games.  Our team looked better as the tourney went on.  The schedule of dates of extra three day rest in the quarters helped us against the two days rest of the Puerto Rico game and the same was true in reverse of the US game where they were sitting on three day rest and us two day rest.  
Better youth team preparation is our next evolution we all hope.   Main goal of reaching the U17 World Cup achieved - bravo.  Hopefully the team can achieve success there and not just be satisfied in attending. 

Edited by A Different Perspective

2 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Would preparation help? Sure. Would it make us even with the U.S and their huge talent pool at the u17 level. Not a chance. It is what it is.

They’re now 11-1-0 vs us all time at this level and the gap isn’t closing.

So you are saying just accept it - there’s not much what we can do to ever beat the US and by extension Mexico in youth soccer and just be happy and shoot for the semis and hope we have never have to play Mexico or the US in the quarters?

30 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Would preparation help? Sure. Would it make us even with the U.S and their huge talent pool at the u17 level. Not a chance. It is what it is.

They’re now 11-1-0 vs us all time at this level and the gap isn’t closing.

We are a country of almost 40M people.  That is definitely a large enough population base to have a team that can compete with anyone.  And it isn't just about population size.  Plenty of smaller countries punch above their weight.  Not saying we will - just that population isn't our limiting factor.  If it was, we wouldn’t be competing with those countries at the senior level either.   But we are - in large part because of our evolving infrastructure and grassroots participation levels.  And these things could allow us to compete at the youth level as well.   

1 hour ago, A Different Perspective said:

So you are saying just accept it - there’s not much what we can do to ever beat the US and by extension Mexico in youth soccer and just be happy and shoot for the semis and hope we have never have to play Mexico or the US in the quarters?

I’m saying this is the reality. The huge talent pool at the u17 level for the U.S and Mexico along with their resources means it isn’t surprising we haven’t challenged them. 

I see no reason why that will change in the future. 

Edited by Soccerpro2

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We are a country of almost 40M people.  That is definitely a large enough population base to have a team that can compete with anyone.  And it isn't just about population size.  Plenty of smaller countries punch above their weight.  Not saying we will - just that population isn't our limiting factor.  If it was, we wouldn’t be competing with those countries at the senior level either.   But we are - in large part because of our evolving infrastructure and grassroots participation levels.  And these things could allow us to compete at the youth level as well.   

You’re confusing the differences between senior and youth level.

The depth of the U.S and Mexico at the youth level is enormous, so are their preparation resources. There are so many great players to choose from.

Obviously, once you get to the senior level and there is no age restrictions, the massive depth pool of 2 year age cycles doesn’t matter anymore.

D.C United started a 16 year old at CB last night in their 3-2 win Gs TFC last night. 

If a Canadian MLS team did that we would:

1. Proclaim the kid the 2nd coming of Christ.

2. Trot out the excuse that he wasn’t with our u17 team as the reason we didn’t win a youth national team game.

U.S depth at the youth level is insane.

Edited by Soccerpro2

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

D.C United started a 16 year old at CB last night in their 3-2 win Gs TFC last night. 

2. Troy out the excuse that he wasn’t with our u17 team as the reason we didn’t win a youth national team game.

He actually was supposed to be on the US U17 team but DC held him back because they knew he was set to start the season opener 

17 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

2. Trot out the excuse that he wasn’t with our u17 team as the reason we didn’t win a youth national team game.

Canadian MLS teams have done that. It’s impressive but nothing will ever top Davies winning the gold cup golden boot at 16 as a midfielder.