SheBelieves Cup - Canada vs Japan - Wednesday, February 22nd - Frisco, TX - 4pm EST / 1pm Pacific

SheBelieves Cup Friendly Tournament - Match #3
Canada vs Japan
Wednesday, February 22 2023
4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific
Toyota Stadium
Frisco, Texas
(Dallas area)

Broadcast in Canada:
ONESOCCER (live - online)
Broadcast in the USA:
HBOMAX (English) Universo/Telemundo App (Spanish)

Canada Roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-womens-national-team-announces-squad-for-the-2023-shebelieves-cup/

Japan Roster:
https://jfa.jp/nadeshikojapan/2023_shebelieves_cup/news/00031532/

Tickets:

https://am.ticketmaster.com/ussoccer/quickbuy?e=MjNXMDIyMg==&promoCode=Q0FOV05UMjM= (with CanWNT promo code)
https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C005D86D2B73BE7 (general link)

Canadian players that have played all possible minutes during the previous two matches:

-Buchanan
-Fleming
-Sheridan (GK)

Canadian Players that haven't seen any minutes yet:

-Carle
-Larisey
-D'Angelo (GK)
-Proulx (GK)

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

this team is a mess...everyone needs to sit down and agree on a new cba asap and move forward 

This labour dispute reminds me of my wife when I don't give her my credit card to go shopping.

SheBelieves in money 🤑💰🫰

Edit: Very embarrassed by that performance.

Edited by SoCalTransport

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

this team is a mess...everyone needs to sit down and agree on a new cba asap and move forward 

Or phase some the ladies/x’’s out. Clearly there needs to be an injection of hunger and pride.

I truly hate professionals crying wolf when there are millions of people dying to be in their position.

Pride < Pay

Playing for your country is a privilege and not an obligation. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

Or phase some the ladies/x’’s out. Clearly there needs to be an injection of hunger and pride.

I truly hate professionals crying wolf when there are millions of people dying to be in their position.

Pride < Pay

Playing for your country is a privilege and not an obligation. 

It's also their careers.  This is how they make a salary.  Unless these women have million dollar contracts with their club teams....

42 minutes ago, Metro said:

It's also their careers.  This is how they make a salary.  Unless these women have million dollar contracts with their club teams....

Playing for your national team is a subsidiary of your career. It's the privilege that comes with the profession. 
Playing for your national team isn't an obligation it is a choice. If one's pride or will has wained, or if it starts effecting your performance will their main employer (club teams) they can simply retire from showing up.  
Playing for your national team is not supposed to be used as sure income, but moreso as a bonus. 

Majority of Olympic athletes have primary jobs while training to represent their country on the worlds stage. Most are minimally funded through sponsorships to help pay for their training and other necessary expenses.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Playing for your national team is a subsidiary of your career. It's the privilege that comes with the profession. 
Playing for your national team isn't an obligation it is a choice. If one's pride or will has wained, or if it starts effecting your performance will their main employer (club teams) they can simply retire from showing up.  
Playing for your national team is not supposed to be used as sure income, but moreso as a bonus. 

Majority of Olympic athletes have primary jobs while training to represent their country on the worlds stage. Most are minimally funded through sponsorships to help pay for their training and other necessary expenses.

Yes, I do sympathize with this argument because I use to believe it too, but now I fundamentally disagree with it and it is due to the foundation of thought that is required to make such an argument.  I won't get to it here because then we'll be getting into more worldly matters involving labour relations and who wants that? 😄 

What I will say is, rightly or wrongly, there's money in the game as we obviously all know.  The players being players, deserve a certain amount of that.  What that amount is, IMHO, is not for us to decide.  If the players believe they are not getting what they deserve, they have every right to shout that from the roof tops.  (Whether they actually deserve what they think they deserve might be another story.)

They are already getting paid a full time salary by their clubs

Some (if not all) have endorsement deals

They are already getting paid for national team appearances (except for 2022 because they havent yet agreed on a new CBA)

They got 1.7M of retroactive pay from Canada Soccer which was part of their demands

They will get the same friends and family package for the world cup that the mens team got

What is left is for Canada Soccer to give them the same ressources as the mens team (number of staff and players, training days...)

And last but certainly not least Nick Bontis will be the best thing that ever happened to the group of players that will receive 3-4 Million by doing nothing or close to it (mens world cup prize money to be received by fifa)

Former presidents Reed and Montagliani had multiple years but never gave womens team an equity deal...a little over a year after becoming president Bontis made it a mission to get it done and it will finally happen very soon

Now the question is after receiving all this will the motivation and hunger go up, be the same or go down??