Match Thread: CONCACAF U-17, Group Stage: Canada v USA - Wednesday, February 15, 2023 - 5pm PT/8pm ET

narduch

17 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

de Montigny is a baller.  Certified.

I thought he was terrible. He has the individual skills but zero awareness when he is in possession. So many times he has an easy pass to break pressure but holds onto it and loses possession. I saw the same in the first two matches where he kept missing the runs of the midfielder into space on the sidelines ahead of him. 

I'm impressed how well we are playing. Making less mistakes then the previous two games. 

I feel there is potential with Stefanovic. He seems calm on the ball. 

Abraham is also not as bad as i thought based on comments from previous game. 

It wasn't a terrible half for us besides a couple of nervy moments as a result of our mistakes we were comfortable without offering much going forward, the one crack we had at goal didn't miss by much! As others have mentioned the US looks physically stronger and the last corner kick maybe highlighted that, this could be because of a younger team or just the type of player chosen but this always sorts itself out as the players get older, if they aren't physically strong enough they will not progress in the older age groups!

2 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I thought he was terrible. He has the individual skills but zero awareness when he is in possession. So many times he has an easy pass to break pressure but holds onto it and loses possession. I saw the same in the first two matches where he kept missing the runs of the midfielder into space on the sidelines ahead of him. 

Yeah, the awareness will come (should he get proper instruction).

I give most of them a pass on that due to age.  Can only hope they learn that when they come up against more sophisticated opponents.

2 minutes ago, gator said:

It wasn't a terrible half for us besides a couple of nervy moments as a result of our mistakes we were comfortable without offering much going forward, the one crack we had at goal didn't miss by much! As others have mentioned the US looks physically stronger and the last corner kick maybe highlighted that, this could be because of a younger team or just the type of player chosen but this always sorts itself out as the players get older, if they aren't physically strong enough they will not progress in the older age groups!

Yeah, I'm all for being outmuscled at this age group if we are prioritizing skills over size.  Although I'm not completely sold that that's what Olivieri did.

Success with size at the U17 level didn't really give us much in the long run with our 2011 and 2013 U17 teams.

We have set up well defensively and haven’t given them much although they seem to be tiring in the last 5 or 10 minutes which led to mistakes on our side that gave them half chances. 

Going forward we are terrible. We can’t hold onto the ball. Stefanovic can play out of the back but Fung and Chukwu are poor under pressure.  Our fullbacks are equally bad (especially Rigalopolous, De Montigny is better on the ball but has zero awareness) and De Sa in the middle isn’t much better. The only guy I thought has shown anything is Badwal. Very tidy and keeps the ball moving.  He also had the presence to play the pass to Rigalopolous that led to his shot.

The 3 up front have had so little on the ball it’s difficult to comment

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, I'm all for being outmuscled at this age group if we are prioritizing skills over size.  Although I'm not completely sold that that's what Olivieri did.

Success with size at the U17 level didn't really give us much in the long run with our 2011 and 2013 U17 teams.

Not true, Bryce Alderson owned a pizza joint in Ontario at one point. That’s a success story.

13 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Agreed, but I wouldn’t mind seeing someone with Phonzie’s speed and strength either