Match Thread: CONCACAF U-17, Group Stage: Canada v Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, February 11, 2023 - 2pm PT/5pm ET

narduch

5 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Up 3-2 vs a team thats been playing with 10 men the entire game and have no professional infrastructure in their country is...not great.

Also, this is T&Ts first camp with US based players. Our starting XI was basically the Toronto u17s. We should have had the edge in terms of teamwork.

Not great! But the win sets up up for 2nd in the group and a likely match vs Costa Rica to make the u17 WC a week from now.

The 3-2 scoreline isn’t indicative of the play. We had 77% possession, completed 600+ passes and had 19 shots.  They had 3 and 2 on target which both went in.

But we definitely could have been much more incisive in attack and we made a blunder playing them onside for their first, a needless foul outside the box that set up the Freekick that was well taken for the second. 

Not a bad start but need to get better throughout the tournament in the final third and don’t make silly mistakes in defense.

I thought Biello is quite the player in the 6 role.  I thought Dumitru added directness when he came on and also floated into spaces like Ndiaye did the first half. Chukwu is definitely good for a 14 year old.  Omeze has the physical and technical tools to be a centre back but needs to work on his decision making.  Ozimec reminded me of a young Cavallini and even has the same first name. I was impressed with de Montigny in the first half and he has talent but in the second he missed the runs of Badwal into space too often. It will be interesting how the rest of the tournament goes.  

3EC97AF1-DA49-4860-831D-96C3B01D6B0F.thumb.png.a28449abe701fa88093aefd43f5e18e1.png

As someone who follow's these boys very closely in their clubs/MLS Next, I still believe we are minimizing Chukwu's best qualities by not having him in the midfield in a box-to-box role.  He's not got a great positional understanding to play as a LCB, against better teams he will be punished.  

De Montigny is a good player, natural left-footer and can stretch the field.   I'd like to see more directness, someone who will dribble at guys, get a cross in, make the opposite fullback work.  I would bring in Aidan Fong.

Biello was fine, played a simple game, nothing bad but nothing great.  Given that is was a weak opponent, I'd like to see our midfielders be much more progressive.  All seemed to just want to get on the ball and make simple passes and not advance the play through the lines.  

I don't say this to criticize the player in any way, but I don't get why Galindo keeps hyping Fung as this "top dual-national" and "highly touted prospect at Inter Miami".  I feel like he says the same thing about every player with more than one passport 😁

Edited by Footyeh

2 hours ago, Strait Red said:

4th official’s last name is Moron, he picked the wrong kind of work.

Morón is a common Spanish name, and there are place names with it, like Morón de la Frontera, with a major airbase.

Your comment, culturally ignorant and probably racist, makes you look like an authentic case of what you thought you were talking about.

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

My fav Canada u17 team is definitely the one from 2011. That was our breakthrough year. Probably our most talented team, too. 

I have found memories of that U17 WC. After their performance I was certain Canada would qualify for the 2022 World Cup. I thought, who is going to be able to stop us when we have a midfield of Aleman, Piette and Alderson running circles around and passing through our opponents. I guess I was half right. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Morón is a common Spanish name, and there are place names with it, like Morón de la Frontera, with a major airbase.

Your comment, culturally ignorant and probably racist, makes you look like an authentic case of what you thought you were talking about.

I chuckled.  I guess I'm a racist too?

45 minutes ago, timmy_14 said:

Do you guys know why they put all the other games on replay on OneSoccer, except the Canada game? I cannot watch the games live all the time, and now I activated my account again for that tournament and the She Believes, but they don’t upload the game.

The other games are all free on Concacaf YouTube