Charles Auguste

Atlantic

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ok.

Possibly a stupid question then but what are the pros and cons of not declaring? Why doesn't everyone who just got out of NCAA do that?

I suppose that if it allowable for a club to talk to a player out of NCAA, and there is mutual interest, the player could opt out of the draft and then sign with the club. There could possibly be a decision to leave NCAA to avoid breaking any NCAA rules over eligibility. Was Auguste a graduating senior? Anyway, the more young Canadian players on MLS rosters, the better.

Yeah he was a senior.  It just another weird thing that happens in MLS.  They make it seem like this is the only path for NCAA kids....MLS SUPERDRAFt..MLS....stardom.  And yur right, if a guy is good enough to sign pro, why does he even care about remaining NCAA eligibility just go pro.  I had guys leave school after 2 years to take lucrative jobs in my field, 

6 hours ago, Atlantic said:

He didn’t declare - also he just signed with OBELISQ so seems like he had pro options 

He was draft eligible as a senior last year, and went undrafted so he couldn’t be drafted again this year.  He’s technically a 5th year so he went though waivers.  Benefited from Creightons run to the semi final

7 hours ago, Footyeh said:

He was draft eligible as a senior last year, and went undrafted so he couldn’t be drafted again this year.  He’s technically a 5th year so he went though waivers.  Benefited from Creightons run to the semi final

Only 4 years of draft eligibility but you can play a fifth, is that it? I'm seriously asking, I don't understand the rules.

Is there anything stopping a NCAA player from signing directly with a MLS team without being drafted?

Also: iirc in Canada U-Sports you can be drafted out of your 5th year.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only 4 years of draft eligibility but you can play a fifth, is that it? I'm seriously asking, I don't understand the rules.

Is there anything stopping a NCAA player from signing directly with a MLS team without being drafted?

NCAA is only 4 years of playing eligibility. You can redshirt/medical redshirt, but you cant play more than 4 years. 

34 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

NCAA is only 4 years of playing eligibility. You can redshirt/medical redshirt, but you cant play more than 4 years. 

Also not sure about soccer but I know in football, the covid year didn’t count against them. So they could technically play 5 years (plus any redshirt/medical redshirt)

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, you can only become draft eligible if either you’ve signed generation adidas contract as an underclassmen, or you’re a senior (based on academic standing, not athletic).  You can play a fifth year (Covid gave everyone an extra year/or redshirting like someone mentioned above) but you’ll be draft eligible in your senior academy year.

and no, unfortunately you can’t just enter the mls directly without the draft.  Even if you leave college and sign with a MLS 2nd team, in the following year that same club you signed with would need to draft you (your MLS rights) in order to sign you to the first team (see pick 14 Max Arfsten for example)

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Yes, you can only become draft eligible if either you’ve signed generation adidas contract as an underclassmen, or you’re a senior (based on academic standing, not athletic).  You can play a fifth year (Covid gave everyone an extra year/or redshirting like someone mentioned above) but you’ll be draft eligible in your senior academy year.

and no, unfortunately you can’t just enter the mls directly without the draft.  Even if you leave college and sign with a MLS 2nd team, in the following year that same club you signed with would need to draft you (your MLS rights) in order to sign you to the first team (see pick 14 Max Arfsten for example)

The monopoly relationship between NCAA and pro leagues, hard to believe that such suspension of labour and contractual rights is legal in a country with anti-trust laws like the US.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The monopoly relationship between NCAA and pro leagues, hard to believe that such suspension of labour and contractual rights is legal in a country with anti-trust laws like the US.

Indeed. I would have thought that in free market economies with fundamental freedoms of association potential employees would be free to negotiate with whichever employee they preferred and vice-versa. Such is the irony of the free market. Would it not be better for players to just decide when to leave school and when to go to work? I would imagine that a top NCAA sophomore, for example, could leave NCAA to play in Europe without barriers in the way; however, that same person would be restricted from joining a MLS team without entering the draft? Weird. Of course, I am open to being informed if I have this wrong.

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2022 at 11:44 AM, Footyeh said:

Can they use a team outside of the US as a loophole? For example, let's say Montreal wants an NCAA player, can Wanderers sign that player and then transfer them to Montreal to avoid the draft?

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Can they use a team outside of the US as a loophole? For example, let's say Montreal wants an NCAA player, can Wanderers sign that player and then transfer them to Montreal to avoid the draft?

I've wondered this myself and I think they probably could.... unless the MLS somehow determines the player must go through waivers or something ridiculous like that lol

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...