Grant Wahl

My experience with the AC in the stadiums was all over the map. I saw 3 games at the Khalifa, and it really depended on where you sat. Education City, like the poster above said, that was frigid everywhere. Lusail was fine both times I went there (I actually broiled there, because I saw ARG v KSA in the sun). Ahmed bin Ali was perfect, all three times I was there. Al Janoub was cool.

I don't really rate the conspiracy theories at all personally. It's not like Qatar knows or cares about Grant Wahl, in my opinion. There is a huge American military presence in Qatar that is core to their security (they live in fear of Saudi invading someday). I seriously doubt they would risk that for anything, let alone some relatively unknown journalist who was calling them out on stuff.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

That's crazy reading the freezing temperatures in stadium.
When you guys got out, was it the polar opposite? @ensco @Free kick

Yes.  That day, the 24th of November, it was suffocatingly hot outside.  But in the stadium and in the stands, it was cold.  

I should add, this was not an issue for the two games involving Canada.  Those two games were played in a different stadium(s) and after sunset.

Edited by Free kick

I limited myself down to one game a day and glad I did.  Lots of long walks to get to the stadiums, even longer walks getting out, the mental focus on the matches and the whole FOMO aspect of wanting to see Qatar which did me in.  I spent two weeks there and in a way, glad we didn’t progress cause I don’t know if I had it in me to stay another 4-5 days in a different accommodation.  I can’t imagine what journalists and reporters had to deal with…it felt like an ultra-marathon physically and mentally.

59 minutes ago, ensco said:

My experience with the AC in the stadiums was all over the map. I saw 3 games at the Khalifa, and it really depended on where you sat. Education City, like the poster above said, that was frigid everywhere. Lusail was fine both times I went there (I actually broiled there, because I saw ARG v KSA in the sun). Ahmed bin Ali was perfect, all three times I was there. Al Janoub was cool.

I don't really rate the conspiracy theories at all personally. It's not like Qatar knows or cares about Grant Wahl, in my opinion. There is a huge American military presence in Qatar that is core to their security (they live in fear of Saudi invading someday). I seriously doubt they would risk that for anything, let alone some relatively unknown journalist who was calling them out on stuff.

Qatar is getting tighter with the US. Last month, US government just approved a US$1 billion arms sales to Qatar. Exxon & Qatar Energy are building a LNG terminal in Louisiana. Chevron & Qatar Energy are going to build plastics plant in Texas.

Wahl's wife has also worked with the Biden admin re covid. Last week, Wahl was honoured by FIFA and international press association for being one of 82 journalists who have attended 8 World Cups.

Picture below doesn't look like an ideal place for a cardiac arrest. About 5 years ago, a work colleague around the same age as Wahl had pneumonia that he tried fighting off for a week or so. Eventually, too much water in his lungs caused a cardiac arrest. Fortunately, it happened in a hospital and he was revived in less than a minute.

3 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

When you check up his wife, she is a big vaccine pusher, so I'm sure he had all 100 boosters 😜

Yup.. people's behavior over the past few years have made their bodies immune system completely unable to deal with any challenges 

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if Qatari officials off to him. They take things extremely serious. People have had their heads chopped off in public for a drawing. Unfortunately for his family we'll never know

The idea that the Qatari government or FIFA or some other group associated with them could've been behind this strikes me as highly implausible.  This is a fairly well-known American journalist, not some 3rd tier backroom hack from Borneo.  There's just no way anyone from those groups tries something like this and risks a huge international incident over a t-shirt.  

Now I admit there are probably a number of religious groups and people in Qatar who didn't like his apparel or his articles calling out Qatar very much.  Could they (and more importantly, would they) have pulled off some sort of covert poisoning?  Possible, but again, I kind of doubt  it.    

As much as it's a good story to think that Wahl was murdered by the Qatar government, this continues to be highly unlikely. Why would they?  Because of the rainbow shirt?  I'm not familiar with everything he's written, but it's strange to think of every criticism they've received they'd go after him.  Natural causes seems the highest likelihood. Very sad. 

2 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."
Mark Twain

Cute quote. Incredibly ironic, though.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think I owe you an explanation for your crackpot theories, but to humour you a tiny little bit: people died suddenly prior to 2021 all the fucking time.

24 minutes ago, RS said:

Cute quote. Incredibly ironic, though.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think I owe you an explanation for your crackpot theories, but to humour you a tiny little bit: people died suddenly prior to 2021 all the fucking time.

Not at this rate.

I hate talking about this on here, but people have to stop being defensive and accept reality. His death was a vax injury. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

He's one of the dummies that thinks immunity debt is a real thing

Immunity debt is a real thing but you can be pro vax like me and believe in it.  I fully support the measures taken to suppress Covid and to vaccinate the bulk of the population but it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t come at a cost.  This is the issue with China. It has spent the last 3 years suppressing Covid, having no credible plan to move to living with it and now that it’s happening quickly with little or no preparation they are going to be hit by the double whammy of omnicron rampaging through their society plus all the other illnesses that they have not built any immunity to. Big problem coming in the next 2 to 3 months. 

6 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Immunity debt is a real thing but you can be pro vax like me and believe in it.  I fully support the measures taken to suppress Covid and to vaccinate the bulk of the population but it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t come at a cost.  This is the issue with China. It has spent the last 3 years suppressing Covid, having no credible plan to move to living with it and now that it’s happening quickly with little or no preparation they are going to be hit by the double whammy of omnicron rampaging through their society plus all the other illnesses that they have not built any immunity to. Big problem coming in the next 2 to 3 months. 

Immunity debt is fake.

Sorry you are wrong. 

What's happening now is down to removing protections. Not immunity debt