Malcolm Johnston

phresh

53 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Not every draft pick makes it, honestly this could be a blessing.

Aside from the top 10 and a few others scattered throughout the draft, very few draft picks make the MLS nowadays.  Most end up on Reserve Teams (now MLS NextPro), USL & now the CPL.  It's even more difficult being Canadian without a Tag such as Mohamed Omar where you take up a international roster spot.

Just look at last years Canadian draft picks and where they ended up.  Some still within the same organization and some left altogether.

Edit - Oluwaseyi 17th - Played for Minnesota United II in MLS Next Pro

Mullings 20th - Played for NY Redbulls II in the USL Championship

Omar - 23rd - Played for Halifax in the CPL

Gavran 31st - Played for TFC II in MLS Next Pro

DosSantos - Played for Pittsburgh in USL Championship

Walkes - Played for TFC II in MLS Next Pro

Edited by Corazon

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Aside from the top 10 and a few others scattered throughout the draft, very few draft picks make the MLS nowadays.  Most end up on Reserve Teams (now MLS NextPro), USL & now the CPL.  It's even more difficult being Canadian without a Tag such as Mohamed Omar where you take up a international roster spot.

Just look at last years Canadian draft picks and where they ended up.  Some still within the same organization and some left altogether.

Gavran 31st - Played for TFC II in MLS NextPro

Walkes - Played for TFC II in MLS NextPro

Which is why I find it funny how the MLS hypes the draft. It's nonsense.

I remember looking up a Juventus U19 academy team that came to Toronto a few years  ago . I looked at that roster to see where those players were playing now . I think only one was playing in Serie A and the rest were all playing in 3rd division leagues in Italy and even lower , while a few we’re scattered around Europe playing in similar lower division leagues . Therefore, it’s just the nature of pro soccer  no matter if you go through a draft like the MLS or spend all your youth playing days in an pro teams academy, very few end up making it in the end . 

Edited by SoccMan

11 hours ago, PastPros said:

Which is why I find it funny how the MLS hypes the draft. It's nonsense.

Probably figured they needed to hype it just like NFL NHL and NBA do.  It's a North American thing.  Garber's marketing team was probably like "are you really a top shelf league and sport if you're not making a big deal about drafts?"

11 hours ago, Corazon said:

Edit - Oluwaseyi 17th - Played for Minnesota United II in MLS Next Pro

Gavran 31st - Played for TFC II in MLS Next Pro

Walkes - Played for TFC II in MLS Next Pro

Just goes to show you what an anomaly Allistair Johnston, Tajon Buchanan and Kamal Miller turned out to be.

3 NCAA players that were instrumental in us getting to the World Cup.

There is luck involved in development mostly correlated with opportunity.

Alistair and Cyle had the fortune of going to expansion clubs and were given playing time immediately.

Miller and Layrea were late bloomers and had to move before they found their place in the league.

Buchanon took a couple years to develop and was a sub for most of his first year.

CPL is a good option for young players to get playing time.    NYFC has a lot of homegrown players so it was always going to be difficult for him to displace them.

Edited by DigzTFC

40 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

There is luck involved in development mostly correlated with opportunity.

Alistair and Cyle had the fortune of going to expansion clubs and were given playing time immediately.

Miller and Layrea were late bloomers and had to move before they found their place in the league.

Buchanon took a couple years to develop and was a sub for most of his first year.

CPL is a good option for young players to get playing time.    NYFC has a lot of homegrown players so it was always going to be difficult for him to displace them.

Cycle was the first pick and always going to get shots.

Yes Alistair had some fortune but he surprised many.

Miller and Laryea were given little to no chances at Orlando, many in MLS were baffled as to why Miller did not play more and quite frankly Laryea’s case is worse. He was supposed to be a 10 (for those who didn’t know he was the 8th pick and a cam) and they gave him no chance, buried him and didn’t try him else where. And then told him he wasn’t MLS caliber… Orlando was very incompetent at the start of their tenure… We are lucky Larin left and that he got chances there, what’s crazy is that they could have kept him by idk… paying him properly for his production. What a story that was….

i wouldn’t say Buchanan took years, I remember his first game in early March he smacked a post and was a night mare all good. Honestly, Bruce should have played him more but he brought him along slowly.

How many times have we seen that much  of it depends on the spot, the roster, the coaches etc.  These guys are the same player they were a few months before eh??  Miller stalls in Orlando, but flourishes in Montreal, Lareya tears it up in MLS and national team but cant get on the field in england, Larin seemingly isnt wanted at all then goes to Spain and bangs in goals at a higher level.  Thats why it drives me crazy when a young player really starts to get comfortable, start doing well and the first thing people wonder is when is he transfering out??  If NYFC cant fit him into their plans maybe he can find a fit up here??   

55 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How many times have we seen that much  of it depends on the spot, the roster, the coaches etc.  These guys are the same player they were a few months before eh??  Miller stalls in Orlando, but flourishes in Montreal, Lareya tears it up in MLS and national team but cant get on the field in england, Larin seemingly isnt wanted at all then goes to Spain and bangs in goals at a higher level.  Thats why it drives me crazy when a young player really starts to get comfortable, start doing well and the first thing people wonder is when is he transfering out??  If NYFC cant fit him into their plans maybe he can find a fit up here??   

All comes down to the right fit with a coach, system and instilling confidence.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

whats considered great?....

I looked at their match updates and couldn't see his name mentioned with GOAL.

Local reporters praising his play, the head coach highlighting him as a player who had a good preseason, and starting the season with the main squad. 

IMO I'd have rather seen him on a CPL side. Haven't seen too many guys over the years sign with an MLS affiliate USL team and actually get a meaningful look by their MLS side, but what's worse is that MLS side still ends up owning their rights. Better IMO to play a couple years for one of the more successful CPL teams and then try to move up a level on your own terms.