Malcolm Johnston

phresh

Whitecaps currently have the highest pick of the Canadian teams (barring a trade between now and then, of course), but at #13 Vancouver's likely too low to get Johnston.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at a rebuilding Houston or Sporting KC, although neither coach is renowned for trusting youth so it might be a tough slog for him at either team.

51 minutes ago, RS said:

Whitecaps currently have the highest pick of the Canadian teams (barring a trade between now and then, of course), but at #13 Vancouver's likely too low to get Johnston.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at a rebuilding Houston or Sporting KC, although neither coach is renowned for trusting youth so it might be a tough slog for him at either team.

I would rather see Canadians land at American MLS teams if possible. No need to have Canadians battling other Canadians for playing time.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

I would rather see Canadians land at American MLS teams if possible. No need to have Canadians battling other Canadians for playing time.

As I pointed out elsewhere, Vancouver needs more young Canadian talent. But he'll probably be off the board by their pick, so it's a moot point.

Like you, I'm partial to spreading CanCon around on U.S. teams where possible. It just has to be a good situation for each player (so no Laryea and Miller at Orlando-type situation), which is what has me concerned about some of the teams with higher picks.

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

Amen.

I remember Alaistair talking about Malcolm, I think on the Northern Fútbol podcast, saying how much better Malcolm was than him in comparison at every age point. Said he was a natural athlete.

If he lived up to that billing, oh my.

He'd end up at Rangers.

10 hours ago, VinceA said:

There's always the risk Alistair is just being nice about his younger brother.

There is a scenario where all this hype for Malcolm culminates on him getting Mohammed Omar'd and signs a deal in the CPL.

That seems to almost always be the case with such comments. We’re all human, of course we’d (almost) all day the same thing about a younger sibling if we could boost their stock. With Malcolm though his college career does look just as good as if not better than Alistair’s so there’s that. 

On 12/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, toontownman said:

Amen.

I remember Alaistair talking about Malcolm, I think on the Northern Fútbol podcast, saying how much better Malcolm was than him in comparison at every age point. Said he was a natural athlete.

If he lived up to that billing, oh my.

He'd end up at Rangers.

Yeah, Alistair was quite complimentary of his brother. Maybe both are late bloomers. 

We just have to hope they are more Henrik & Daniel Sedin and less Wayne & Brent Gretzky.

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

We just have to hope they are more Henrik & Daniel Sedin and less Wayne & Brent Gretzky.

When AJ becomes our most capped player ever when he’s 38, the trivia question will be: who are the most capped set of brothers in Canadian history?

Alistair Johnston: 135

Malcolm Johnston: 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Matt Doyle adding that NYCFC are thin at midfield, so he mostly like remains one at pro level.

For home games, it's ok to be thin at midfield. That Yankee Stadium pitch barely has room for one. 🤣🤣

If he can get used to playing on that surface, he will be ready to play on any pitch CONCACAF throws his way. 😅

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

0_WCup-Canada-Soccer-Doha-Qatar-23-Nov-2

😆

Jokes aside, you think Alistair isn't good looking? He seems pretty normal to me.

Naw, not really. To be honest I think he looks goofy. Now his brother is good looking but hey I'm neither a woman nor gay so my opinion doesn't count for anything.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

A lot of people think he looks like Pete Davidson so I'm sure there's a segment of people who would go wild for AJ. He does have a girlfriend so there's at least one person who likes what they see lmao.

Davidson is not what I would consider good looking but he is better looking than AJ. But who cares! He's a talented played.