Canada World Cup Player (and Coach) Ratings

4 hours ago, The Pessimist said:

Herdman is an excellent motivator. After many years of failure he successfully got the players to believe that Canada could qualify for the World Cup. 

Did the players really need to be motivated at the World Cup. You would think that all players from all teams would be motivated just being at the World Cup. Motivation was not the primary requirement to succeed at the World Cup. Herdman stiil tried to use the brotherhood as a motivator. 

What Canada needed was a specific game plan for each of the opposing teams. It seemed that Canada had one game plan that they applied to all teams. That was a coaching shortcoming.

I think it is more like the only way to really plan is to focus on the first match. Or at least to not get ahead of ourselves. 

In any case, that is for the players, and they were motivated vs. Belgium. Then, the next day, we had to turn the page and the staff had to be prepping them for a new challenge, a fresh one, with a different game plan. And that did not clearly happen. 

I'm fine with not spinning players' heads with tactics for a few games from now, but the technical staff has to be onto it. And I agree, they did not seem to be at all. 

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In any case, that is for the players, and they were motivated vs. Belgium. Then, the next day, we had to turn the page and the staff had to be prepping them for a new challenge, a fresh one, with a different game plan. And that did not clearly happen. 

I'm fine with not spinning players' heads with tactics for a few games from now, but the technical staff has to be onto it. And I agree, they did not seem to be at all. 

If you are doing a formal debrief/review of the overall performance, those doing the inquiry would be asking a lot of questions about the game plan prep and tactical approach.