2023 U SPORTS Draft

Pottsy3

33 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Shows the amount of free agency in CPL. In the MLS daft the drafting team maintains 2 years of priority rights to the player, if another team wants the player they have to trade for the rights.  And there hasn't been a single trade in CPL.

Definitely closer to the European model then MLS.  

The MLS also has somewhere for the player to play if they don’t make the big team, CPL does not. 

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

The MLS also has somewhere for the player to play if they don’t make the big team, CPL does not. 

Good point. Retaining draft rights and then not doing anything with the player is unfair if he wants to shop himself on the open market. You don't want teams blocking others interested then not giving the guy a fair chance and minutes.

But maybe I am misunderstanding how retaining draft rights works in the CPL.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good point. Retaining draft rights and then not doing anything with the player is unfair if he wants to shop himself on the open market. You don't want teams blocking others interested then not giving the guy a fair chance and minutes.

But maybe I am misunderstanding how retaining draft rights works in the CPL.

In every case the player whose rights have been retained has played for the team the next year, we will get a clearer picture this year as four players have had their rights retained, the most ever.  From what I can see "retained rights" means a roster spot, not a tryout like when you are drafted.  Would be like having your option picked up.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 minute ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

In every case the player whose rights have been retained has played for the team the next year, we will get a clearer picture this year as four players have had their rights retained, the most ever.  From what I can see "retained rights" means a roster spot, not a tryout like when you are drafted.

So it is a way of reserving the player? Why don't they just sign them directly to a contract? Does it have something to do with them continuing at university and in this way retaining their U-Sports eligibility while playing for the CPL club until late August? Only meaningful if you are still studying and not if you've finished?

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So it is a way of reserving the player? Why don't they just sign them directly to a contract? Does it have something to do with them continuing at university and in this way retaining their U-Sports eligibility while playing for the CPL club until late August? Only meaningful if you are still studying and not if you've finished?

Exactly, Sow returned to University last year and obviously plans on returning next year.  The team always has the option to sign a player to a full-time contract if the player is in agreement.    His education seems very important to Sow.

15 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Exactly, Sow returned to University last year and obviously plans on returning next year.  The team always has the option to sign a player to a full-time contract if the player is in agreement.    His education seems very important to Sow.

Thanks.

I've been mentioning this in various places in the BC context, but just repeat here as I appreciate many don't pay attention to the BC situation. The L1BC has a few teams that are basically summer university teams. So along with the option of getting drafted by a CPL club and playing summer, you could stick with your university team May-August. You don't get paid, but you are not lying fallow.

I know that in Québec and Ontario, many university players go to those respective L1s, but they make their own arrangements, they disperse. Like in PDL, where this has happened for almost 20 years now. So the L1BC option is a small shift of the model, though could be important going forward. The finalists fo the national championship,  Thompson Rivers and UBC, had the advantage over all other Canadian universities of having played together in L1BC before U-Sports in fall, meaning they were much readier and seasoned. If CPL drafts continue to pay attention to U-Sports best teams (as they did, somewhat, this last draft), that could be an advantage for those on the L1BC university affiliates.

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not into drafts either, but agree that it creates a buzz in U-Sports, it gets players thinking and dreaming. It also means CPL teams pay attention to the university season a bit more. For me it's all good, but I'd like to see them do a guaranteed contract for the first picks, so it means a bit more.

I think its a positive thing for usports no question. There are a lot of great athletes there and it should be promoted as one of the pathways to professional. But i think the CPL is missing the boat with how to utilize to make it more effect for the teams.  and players

• 2 months later...

Stupid question I should already know the answer to, but do U-Sports players count towards the 23 man squad limit or in addition. I thought there was a way to carry more youth players beyond the 23 limit, did I make that up or is that something a different mechanism. I thought Calgary were or Forge were doing that with their rosters?