Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 3 - Canada v Morocco - December 1, 2022 - 6pm local time / 10am ET / 7am PT

narduch

4 hours ago, ensco said:

^I also think we should play a 2026 focused squad, and that means, I think, we are not playing a best XI for the full 90.

I would play Kone and St Clair for the full 90, for this reason.

Ugbo should get 45 minutes. Maybe 90 minutes.

Whichever of Waterman or Cornelius Herdman rates higher, should get 45 minutes.

Herdman has an opportunity to send messaging to the “market” about who he believes in. That can translate into opportunities for players, and he needs to use those bullets tomorrow.

St. Clair? Really? He probably won't even see the pitch in 2026. If it was Crepeau you'd have a point I think. 

4 hours ago, ensco said:

We were the best team in Group F for the first 120 minutes of the tournament. That's my tertiary narrative, if you want one.

I think this is a huge stretch. We were brilliant for the first 45 vs Belgium and the second half was even more or less, with our play being non-existent the last 20 minutes. Then vs Croatia we were brilliant for all of 10 minutes. Rest was a shit show once they knew to penetrate through the middle and Hutchinson. 

42 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The number of goals today that were simply "passed" into the corner of the goal is remarkable. Precision and accuracy when a player is in good position is so key. That takes composure and experience though. Hopefully David will get that chance v Morrocco

Either that or he smashes the ball through Yassin Bounou's fucking head.

Y'know, either one or the other would be great.

17 hours ago, RJB said:

There is no way that there should be a goalie sub. With respect to St Clair, replacing the keeper for anything other than an injury or red card is a mockery of the game.  Imagine how Borjan would feel‽

Perhaps.  But I honestly thought that some of the goals conceded were stoppable or preventable 

Edited by Free kick

38 minutes ago, rdb9ty said:

I think this is a huge stretch. We were brilliant for the first 45 vs Belgium and the second half was even more or less, with our play being non-existent the last 20 minutes. Then vs Croatia we were brilliant for all of 10 minutes. Rest was a shit show once they knew to penetrate through the middle and Hutchinson. 

You may be right. I was really just making something up to substitute for “we went to the World Cup and didn’t get a result”. 

I am damn proud of this team even though I expect to lose tomorrow. We weren’t that bad in those two games, and everybody here knows it, but somehow wants to allow the narrative of non-soccer people to govern how they see what happened.

I still want to try to win, of course, but it's not the only thing tomorrow that matters. We won Concacaf but these idiotic FIFA ratings meant the USA got to play Iran and Wales. We need to start getting results in 2023 in order to improve our ratings. Playing 2-3 of the younger players who are core to the ratings push over the next 4 years matters more to me than countering some stupid narrative developed by soccer imbeciles.

Edited by ensco

35 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Perhaps.  But I honestly thought that some of the goals conceded were stoppable or preventable 

It's very difficult for a keeper to make a save when the ball is placed near the bottom of the post. Keeper has to go to ground and fully extend his arm. As I mentioned in another post there were a number of goals that we scored today that were similar to the first 3 that Croatia scored on us. Perhaps Borjan could have moved out more to cover the angle on the first but then there was an onrushing forward in the middle and it would have been an easy layoff to him. The score could have been a lot worse if not for some great saves by Milan. 

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's very difficult for a keeper to make a save when the ball is placed near the bottom of the post. Keeper has to go to ground and fully extend his arm. As I mentioned in another post there were a number of goals that we scored today that were similar to the first 3 that Croatia scored on us. Perhaps Borjan could have moved out more to cover the angle on the first but then there was an onrushing forward in the middle and it would have been an easy layoff to him. The score could have been a lot worse if not for some great saves by Milan. 

True, the Polish keeper, who was outstanding, looked Borjanesque on the Argentina first. Certain stretches are hard to make.

The real problem was we let them get into those shooting positions.

Looking back over the last many games with Davies in the lineup, I am wondering if LB is indeed the position that'll get the most out of his talents.  And, I wonder if him playing there will allow us to get other pieces into the right places, too. I'd love to see this vs. Morocco, presuming Staq is ready to go:

Borjan

Johnston           Vittoria      Miller          Davies

Buchanan       Kone      Staq           Adegkube  

Oso

David

--I want to see Davies on the overlap and the overload going forward, but otherwise tucking back when we are defending. Oso will do much to bring cohesion to the attack when we have the ball, and he should be able to work nicely with David, getting him some proper service. They are smart players and play off of each other well.  I might even consider Staq sitting behind Kone and Oso, and in front of the back four, to bring even further cohesion to our midfield. This allows at least one midfielder to join the attack up field, but gives us better coverage on defense. So, maybe a 4-1-4-1, or some sort of midfield diamond. I want to see us start applying what we've learned this tournament, in this tournament. 

18 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Atiba, almost certainly

Vitoria, likely

Hoilett, I could see him sticking around for another year or two

Borjan, feel like that dude will get dragged off the pitch in wheelchair before he hangs'm up

I think the issue is we need to look towards the next World Cup and we get limited opportunities to test our younger players. I'm praying for a Copa America competition. So there is no reason to take up a spot with players who we know won't be around at the next World Cup

I'm not sure of the lineup tomorrow but I still view the game as a must win. The view of Canada Soccer and the feeling around the squad will swing one way or another based on our performance tomorrow 

Edited by SpursFlu

44 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Looking back over the last many games with Davies in the lineup, I am wondering if LB is indeed the position that'll get the most out of his talents.  And, I wonder if him playing there will allow us to get other pieces into the right places, too. I'd love to see this vs. Morocco, presuming Staq is ready to go:

Borjan

Oso

David

--I want to see Davies on the overlap and the overload going forward, but otherwise tucking back when we are defending. Oso will do much to bring cohesion to the attack when we have the ball, and he should be able to work nicely with David, getting him some proper service. They are smart players and play off of each other well.  I might even consider Staq sitting behind Kone and Oso, and in front of the back four, to bring even further cohesion to our midfield. This allows at least one midfielder to join the attack up field, but gives us better coverage on defense. So, maybe a 4-1-4-1, or some sort of midfield diamond. I want to see us start applying what we've learned this tournament, in this tournament. 

I like Davies at LB or LWB, but having Adekugbe in front of him seems like a waste.

I should add that I'm very excited for tomorrow. Moreso than I was before the Croatia match (the feeling on Sunday was dread), although less excited than I was for Belgium. Let's get it.

Edited by jonovision

2 hours ago, ensco said:

... I still want to try to win, of course, but it's not the only thing tomorrow that matters. We won Concacaf but these idiotic FIFA ratings meant the USA got to play Iran and Wales. We need to start getting results in 2023 in order to improve our ratings. Playing 2-3 of the younger players who are core to the ratings push over the next 4 years matters more to me than countering some stupid narrative developed by soccer imbeciles.

Almost made it into pot 3 for the final draw (IIRC ended up in pot 4 after that loss against Panama).

There are a lot of points at stake against Morocco. Going home after 3 losses would be a massive blow as these are all high-yield games. A lot of ground would be lost, even compared to teams that didn't qualify for the World Cup. A win against Morocco would go a long way to make up for the points that have been lost so far. Already dropped below Saudi Arabia and in case of another loss Canada would drop out of the top 50.

1 hour ago, Blondo said:

Almost made it into pot 3 for the final draw (IIRC ended up in pot 4 after that loss against Panama).

There are a lot of points at stake against Morocco. Going home after 3 losses would be a massive blow as these are all high-yield games. A lot of ground would be lost, even compared to teams that didn't qualify for the World Cup. A win against Morocco would go a long way to make up for the points that have been lost so far. Already dropped below Saudi Arabia and in case of another loss Canada would drop out of the top 50.

Fifa rankings are the stupidest system, we shouldn’t lose points for outplaying Belgium and competing with crotia at a World Cup espically as a team ranked in the 40s.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I like Davies at LB or LWB, but having Adekugbe in front of him seems like a waste.

I should add that I'm very excited for tomorrow. Moreso than I was before the Croatia match (the feeling on Sunday was dread), although less excited than I was for Belgium. Let's get it.

Or maybe Tajon and Sam as inverted wingers so they can cut inside, leaving the wings open for Alistair and Davies on the overlap? 

We're out and I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to tomorrow. 

Not to take away from the test, because I know the lads are going to go out there and win, lose, or draw leave whatever they have left on that pitch, but...I also know it's going to be damned near impossible for me to feel nothing but ferociously proud of this collection of players, staff and coaches. 

Tomorrow every pass they make, every tackle they make, and every snarly expression one of them puts on will be the shinning light of heaven warming my face.   And honestly, I really don't know what will happen when after we score.  Ha!  I will probably black out. 

So that's likely the wrong attitude to take into a match but I don't think I'll be able to help it.  And I don't think I should have to.  After all,  I'm not the one playing tomorrow.  I'm sure the lads are more than capable of stoking the competitive fires to white hot without my help. 

So...  as I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight, I share a wee silly memmory.  A cheerful one from when I was young that isn't entirely detatched from the modern footballing world.  (Might even be from before Atiba's time.  Might be.)

Do, do, do-doot.  Uncle 'tiba.

Do, do, do-doot.  Uncle 'tiba. 

16 hours ago, ensco said:

^I also think we should play a 2026 focused squad, and that means, I think, we are not playing a best XI for the full 90.

I would play Kone and St Clair for the full 90, for this reason.

Ugbo should get 45 minutes. Maybe 90 minutes.

Whichever of Waterman or Cornelius Herdman rates higher, should get 45 minutes.

Herdman has an opportunity to send messaging to the “market” about who he believes in. That can translate into opportunities for players, and he needs to use those bullets tomorrow.

To soon for a 2026 squad. In 2026 we will have players that now are not on the radar. We should focus of leaving the WC with a victory. Nevertheless I agree with Kone starting. The playing minutes should be  as a result of their performance during the game.

13 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Borjan

Oso

David

I don't mind your formation but I don't see Staq starting based on him not training with the team yesterday. I also don't think Sam is our best option in an attacking winger position. Like him at FB but I'd swap Adekugbe for Hoilett. 

Otherwise I agree. I'd much prefer a back 4 with Davies at LB. 

That said I don't think we will see it. Davies is an attacker this cycle for us for better or worse. I hope Herdman experiments with lineups with Davies in his (superior) LB position beginning with the next Gold Cup / Nations League. I think it will help Jonatha  David's production as well.