Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 3 - Canada v Morocco - December 1, 2022 - 6pm local time / 10am ET / 7am PT

narduch

33 minutes ago, Miche said:

It's also important for optics to the general Canadian public. Many will already no longer tune in for Thursday. Taking a win and finishing just one point off qualification would be more of an "if only" rather than "do we even belong"?

I attended every match during the qualifying campaign in Canada so far from a fairweather fan and I'm finding it really hard to get up for this one specifically because of the "if only" part. I don't want to be teased like that. 😅

I may be quickly proven wrong in a couple of days but I don’t think our guys will be flat just because we are eliminated.  They will be playing for pride and the hopes of a historic result.  It is also the last kick at the can on the global stage for 4 years.  And some of them are trying to earn a transfer.  If I am stepping out onto the pitch for that game, that is enough incentive for me.  

My guess is Morocco will be highly cautious knowing that a draw will get them through.  Besides, this is the game they play best anyways (they had an outstanding defensive match vs Croatia)
I’d love to see Osorio start as A) We need fit midfielders, b) We will need some creativity to break through their parked bus. 
Assuming Hutch and Eustaquio can’t go, I’d say you have to start Kone too.  I don’t think this is a game for Piette - unless we have a lead and can use him as a sub.

Edited by TOcanadafan

4 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

My guess is Morocco will be highly cautious knowing that a draw will get them through.  Besides, this is the game they play best anyways (they had an outstanding defensive match vs Croatia)
I’d love to see Osorio start as A) We need fit midfielders, b) We will need some creativity to break through their parked bus. 
Assuming Hutch and Eustaquio can’t go, I’d say you have to start Kone too.  I don’t think this is a game for Piette - unless we have a lead and can use him as a sub.

Agreed, I expect Morocco to play for 0-0, very disciplined at the back, but we still need to be careful and disciplined ourselves. Haven't seem much of that in the first two games, but hopefully we learned that lesson vs. Croatia. Plus, having that first goal at the World Cup in the bag is huge, now we can focus on the result only. We've proven we can attack, let's prove we can defend too. We don't need to kill ourselves and leave ourselves open in the middle by playing in all out attack mode, we can pick our spots. If we can score on and/or beat Morocco, that will prove us better than Belgium and Croatia in at least one respect 🙂

So, this tournament was much about getting ready for 2026 right?  I mean for the fans...

I'm exhausted.  It has been emotional at times overwhelming.  I needed the practice before getting up to it at home in 2026. 

This might be sacrilegious, and believe me I'd rather the game had meaning, but I'm kind of looking forward to a game with nothing on the line that I can sit back and enjoy with a regular heart rate.

Silver linings, right?

Jeepers..getting our first win isnt important?  Do these guys want to sit around while TSN debates us going 0-3, whether anything has changed since 86?? Cripes, if they arent up this last game and dont come out raring to get something positive out of this tournie there will be hell to pay.  Does all this brotherhood talk all go out the window once we cant advance?  Is this "new canada" or was all this touchy feely shit during qualifying fall apart the first time we get smacked in the nose?  Is that what a "proper soccer nation" would do?  They dont want 4 more years of the hockey media deriding the team, saying canada still cant get it done, blah blah blah.  Cripes I can hear it already. 

There still is plenty on the line.  Remember 2012, and the guys who quit on canada then?  Remember what Hart did and what he said on the field after the loss? 

"You're supposed to go down all guns blazing, you're supposed to fight," he added. "You're supposed to die out there. 

I hope we come out to win. We need the "No WC Points" monkey off our back for 2026. Plus, we can still impact the group and this is a great time to get practice against a really solid side. As soon as the Croatia game ended our work for 2026 should have begun. 

That doesn't mean no rotation.  I think both Estaquio and Atiba need a rest... something like Osorio and Kone seems just fine to me though. I'd look maybe for Cornellius to come in at the back as well? I don't think k you rotate Borjan. 

We have another monkey to get off our back. Honestly, if we had finished the WC 1-1-1 everyone would have been thrilled. The loss to Croatia is there. The draw... or even  win... very well should have been secured versus Belgium. Let's go try to get our win. If we get any points, honestly I'll be pleased with how this WC went for us.

Leaving with 0 points will be disappointing.

9 hours ago, RJB said:

So, this tournament was much about getting ready for 2026 right?  I mean for the fans...

I'm exhausted.  It has been emotional at times overwhelming.  I needed the practice before getting up to it at home in 2026. 

This might be sacrilegious, and believe me I'd rather the game had meaning, but I'm kind of looking forward to a game with nothing on the line that I can sit back and enjoy with a regular heart rate.

Silver linings, right?

But at the same time regardless of whether we went out in the group stages or somehow made it into the Round of 16, this World Cup was always going to be a learning experience to help us better prepare for 2026. 2022 being our first World Cup in over 36 years and then fast forward 4 years later 2026 we make it to back to back World Cups but 2026 we go into it as one of the 3 hosts. Furthermore, not only does this Qatar experience help prepare us for when we host but it also gives us that hunger to be better and strive for better in 2026. Because in 2026, the greater the expectations we will have because we will be hosts and with that comes pressure. But it is up to us if we live up to that pressure in the next 4 years.

But that aside as far as the Morocco game, we have nothing to really play for except pride. But let's see if the boys can win.

Edited by TGAA_Star

My 11 for this game.

Borjan

Johnston - Cornelius - Miller

Buchanan- Piette - Kone - Davies

----------Osorio - Hoilett--------

--------------David--------------

Five subs if we somehow build a decent lead (let's not mention the reverse)  

Waterman, Kaye, Wotherspoon (probably on  for Osorio if we are chasing it as well), Ugbo and St. Clair

Adekudge, Larin/Cavellini if we trying to keep a close lead.

Cornelius probably won't happen but he deserves a look at least, given his contract situation and his prime age for a centre back in 2026.

Tear apart at your leisure.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My 11 for this game.

Borjan

Waterman, Kaye, Wotherspoon (probably on Osorio if we are chasing it as well), Ugbo and St. Clair

Adekudge, Larin/Cavellini if we trying to keep a close lead.

Cornelius probably won't happen but he deserves a look at least, given his contract situation and his prime age for a centre back in 2026.

Tear apart at your leisure.

Tear apart? Nah - this is actually very close to the lineup I'd draw up if I had a choice. 

I'd be more inclined to want to see a 3-5-2...

----------Borjan----------

------------Piette ------------

Buchanan - Osorio - Kone - Davies

------David ----- Larin ------

I just have more faith in Larin to pot a goal or two than Hoilett, but I'm fine either way. Agree with your subs as I think that gets almost everyone into at least one world cup game. I might even start St. Clair, just to see how it goes. Although going into 2026 I have to think the spot is Crepeau's to lose.

Herdman coached the lights out of the team vs. Belgium, was without real solid ideas vs. Croatia. This is also a chance for him to show what he can do. 

We will probably make a few changes, but I doubt as many as some are suggesting. 

Being a spoiler is an excellent motivator, though I think Morocco goes through with a draw. They also go through losing by 2 or less if the others draw.

Moha the Betis player for Morocco came out today saying that any team would be thrilled to have its destiny in its own hands.

29 minutes ago, Copes said:

Tear apart? Nah - this is actually very close to the lineup I'd draw up if I had a choice. 

I'd be more inclined to want to see a 3-5-2...

----------Borjan----------

------------Piette ------------

Buchanan - Osorio - Kone - Davies

------David ----- Larin ------

I just have more faith in Larin to pot a goal or two than Hoilett, but I'm fine either way. Agree with your subs as I think that gets almost everyone into at least one world cup game. I might even start St. Clair, just to see how it goes. Although going into 2026 I have to think the spot is Crepeau's to lose.

Between Larin and Hoilett was a bit of a toss-up but our set-pieces have been pretty anaemic without the latter.  And we have guys to draw corners and fouls, which can win you a game.

22 hours ago, ensco said:

Does anyone know the record in the WC of eliminated teams in their third game, if the opponent is still alive? I assume it is dreadful….

I was wondering this, too — even before your post — so I went to check. Since 1986, teams that lost their first two group-stage matches in the World Cup have a third-match record of: P51  W17  D9  L25. That includes Canada's third match in 1986 and Qatar's match today. Those results were a lot better than I was expecting. A couple of caveats:

• I did not check to see if all of the teams that started 0-2 were officially eliminated prior to the third match (but I would guess 90 per cent or more of them would have been).
  • Likewise, I didn't check to see if their opponent was still alive.
  • Nine of matches were between two 0-2 teams, which resulted in both a W and an L. Interestingly, there have been no draws between two 0-2 teams in nine matches since 1986.

If Eustaquio is a complete no go for Thursday, I think we're going to struggle against a highly motivated opponent.  I am concerned about possession losses, particularly in midfield, resulting in swift counters.  They could really expose our rearguard like the Croats did.  Most significantly, they are riding a big wave of confidence and momentum right now.  I don't like what the tea leaves are telling me at the moment.

I think this is where a couple guys force themselves back into the picture.  Kaye and Piette are not the scubs people are making them out to be.  Herdman doesnt trust them???  The 2 man midfield he flogged got us 2 losses, plus they got run ragged and neither is physcially up for this last game.  Well maybe give a combo of Kaye/Piette/Wotherspoon a chance with Oso, and let them prove you wrong.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think this is where a couple guys force themselves back into the picture.  Kaye and Piette are not the scubs people are making them out to be.  Herdman doesnt trust them???  The 2 man midfield he flogged got us 2 losses, plus they got run ragged and neither is physcially up for this last game.  Well maybe give a combo of Kaye/Piette/Wotherspoon a chance with Oso, and let them prove you wrong.  

He had a chance to do it last game against an elite midfield threesome and even with guys below 100% in health and fitness (one of whom, at 39, was coming off a substantial injury layoff and has hardly played this club season), he still went to that well.  I hoping that if he does change it up, they deliver.  Tough ask against this highly motivated opponent.

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

A 3 man midfield may have been the correct choice against Croatia. Is it the right choice against Morroco? My impression was that they often bypassed their own midfield in attack vs Belgium.

40 minutes ago, jonovision said:

A 3 man midfield may have been the correct choice against Croatia. Is it the right choice against Morroco? My impression was that they often bypassed their own midfield in attack vs Belgium.

I have seen morocco play 1.5 times, so what do I know eh?  But he has had a long time to think about this, so tactically and personel wise the coaching staff should have a plan that doesnt involve Eusq/Hutch. 

13 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My 11 for this game.

Borjan

Waterman, Kaye, Wotherspoon (probably on  for Osorio if we are chasing it as well), Ugbo and St. Clair

There is no way that there should be a goalie sub. With respect to St Clair, replacing the keeper for anything other than an injury or red card is a mockery of the game.  Imagine how Borjan would feel‽