Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 3 - Canada v Morocco - December 1, 2022 - 6pm local time / 10am ET / 7am PT

narduch

Adekugbe and Kaye should start this one. Either they'll both be there in 4 years time and this is a good experience for them, or this is their only chance to start a world cup match and I think they deserve it based on their involvement during the qualifying campaign. I'm not particularly a fan of Cavallini or Piette but they probably deserve at least a sub appearance for the same reason

Since KJ reported Herdman didn’t trust his midfield depth, I wonder if we get something a little wonky. Maybe Laryea at the DM with Kone and Osorio ahead. 

Think we saw that briefly during one of the early qualifying games though it’s hazy. 

Assuming Eustaquio can’t go and Hutch may only have a sub appearance left in him. 

*and does this trust factor change now that we are eliminated.

Edited by canuckgbp

I'm looking forward to this match - Morocco has everything to play for and it will be a good test for us.

I really hope we dont throw out a B squad just to get the end of the bench some minutes. This is a good chance to play a good team and put on a show for our fans and the entire world. Throwing out a B squad that gets dominated would be a bad decision and leaving another World Cup without a result would be awful for morale.

Some rotation is obviously required - Atiba cant play again and I assume Steph is out. Vitoria might be a question too.

I would probably start a 3 man midfield of Kone, Oso and one of Piette / Fraser. 

Edited by Floortom

28 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I'm looking forward to this match - Morocco has everything to play for and it will be a good test for us.

I really hope we dont throw out a B squad just to get the end of the bench some minutes. This is a good chance to play a good team and put on a show for our fans and the entire world. Throwing out a B squad that gets dominated would be a bad decision and leaving another World Cup without a result would be awful for morale.

Some rotation is obviously required - Atiba cant play again and I assume Steph is out. Vitoria might be a question too.

I would probably start a 3 man midfield of Kone, Oso and one of Piette / Fraser. 

We are going to play the team that give us the best chance to win, so the only changes will be injury related or a tactical tweak, nothing wholesale.  Without Eustaquio, a three man midfield seems very likely.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Morocco has over a dozen players in top 5 leagues. We need to start our best team injuries and recovery permitting. Sure hope we go with 3 mids

They might have overall better defenders than either the teams we have faced.

And I want a win.

Tough but I hope sentimentality has a very limited role.

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Would love to knockout Morocco. Their fans seem like dickheads

Don't think Croatia lose to Belgium.  Even if they draw we would need to beat Morocco by a lot. 

I am okay with winning and still having the best two teams in the group go through.  Belgium don't deserve it, considering the talent they have wasted. 

Loads of reasons why Thursday in a huge match despite it looking seemingly meaningless (and why I don't think we should just give players a run-out). Obviously gaining our first point or win would be amazing and it's a huge confidence boost and monkey-off-the-back heading into 2026. And of course on the flip side it'd be demoralizing leaving with zero.

This match being important for Morocco also gives us another chance to test ourselves against a quality non-CONCACAF opponent, something we rarely get.

It's also important for optics to the general Canadian public. Many will already no longer tune in for Thursday. Taking a win and finishing just one point off qualification would be more of an "if only" rather than "do we even belong"?

I'm not one to predict lineups, but I'd prefer we go for it, give these players their reward for qualifying, over say overly focusing on giving the next cycle of players minutes.