How Will You Watch Canada (TV/Stream)

10 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Debating between BBC , TSN, and the local channel in the country I’m in. I really want to see what Shearer and the crew might have to say about us but I’m guessing their entire pre game show will consist of talking about Kevin De Bruyne

Shearer is the A team.  It looks like we get Ferdinand, Alex Scott and Kompany.

4 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Ok well BBC is a 100% skip then probably

Ferdinand is pretty hit or miss with his analysis/commentary. Alex Scott is usually pretty good, and I suspect that Vincent Kompay might be a Slaven Bilic-type revelation in the studio. I've never been a fan of Shearer, to be fair.

9 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ferdinand is pretty hit or miss with his analysis/commentary. Alex Scott is usually pretty good, and I suspect that Vincent Kompay might be a Slaven Bilic-type revelation in the studio. I've never been a fan of Shearer, to be fair.

Scott adds nothing, if you are a younger inexperienced commentator, you need some personality. Ferdinand knows the defensive game and winning better than anyone but wants to be the centre of attention too often.  I can't remember when but I have seen Kompany before.  Very knowledgeable and very erudite, won't be jumping on any desks though.  He is very calm and maybe boring depending what you are looking for.

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Scott adds nothing, if you are a younger inexperienced commentator, you need some personality. Ferdinand knows the defensive game and winning better than anyone but wants to be the centre of attention too often.  I can't remember when but I have seen Kompany before.  Very knowledgeable and very erudite, won't be jumping on any desks though.  He is very calm and maybe boring depending what you are looking for.

That's what I suspected would be the case. He's a smart guy with a wealth of experience in the game, same as Bilic. I like people who can give insightful analysis and don't care much for the desk jumping. 🙂 

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

That's what I suspected would be the case. He's a smart guy with a wealth of experience in the game, same as Bilic. I like people who can give insightful analysis and don't care much for the desk jumping. 🙂 

Bilic was our manager for a few of his famous moments and I never found him particularly insightful.  Lots of fun, can motivate for a while but his tactical knowledge and understanding of the game was  lacking. What you need in a pundit.

It was after he was fired but he responded to being  asked if something was a foul and said "To be fair, I don't care." It kind of sums him up.

Funny but not actually what you need, unless it's just entertainment.

I always hoped he would mature and learn and come back to us at some point.

10 hours ago, nfitz said:

The Fox nightly show last night said the games were on Tubi. Presumably that's free ... but you have to watch commercials.

I just checked it out, very handy.  You can watch full replays 30 minutes after the matches end for all 64 games.  Geoblocked to the US so one would need a gimmick if one were so inclined. Or live in the USA.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

I just checked it out, very handy.  You can watch full replays 30 minutes after the matches end for all 64 games.  Geoblocked to the US so one would need a gimmick if one were so inclined. Or live in the USA.

I am now watching the Can/Bel replay on Tubi.  Commentary is by JP Dellacamera and Cobi Jones.  If you don't have TSN this is a good option.  Tubi is free and you should sign up even for after the WC.  Actually, I can't remember if you even need to sign up

11 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I am now watching the Can/Bel replay on Tubi.  Commentary is by JP Dellacamera and Cobi Jones.  If you don't have TSN this is a good option.  Tubi is free and you should sign up even for after the WC.  Actually, I can't remember if you even need to sign up

I can't find any World Cup on tubi in Canada.  Streaming TSN or watching via Satellite subscription has been working well for me so far.

47 minutes ago, Rougeisthecolour said:

I can't find any World Cup on tubi in Canada.  Streaming TSN or watching via Satellite subscription has been working well for me so far.

It's on Tubi US (owned by Fox).  If one felt so inclined the software gimmick can access Tubi US or if you live in the US.

Any information I post will always involve a free option (most of the time legal) never anything to do with paid subscriptions.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's on Tubi US (owned by Fox).  If one felt so inclined the software gimmick can access Tubi US or if you live in the US.

Any information I post will always involve a free option (most of the time legal) never anything to do with paid subscriptions.

I will also add that Tubi is a great place to watch really bad (so bad they are hilarious) films on a proxy. 

I have to say, I have been checking out the Opera browser.  I've tested it on and off for years (along with every other browser) but this time I think I'll keep it around.  Seems very quick, the VPN worked well and was very simple to use.

I imported my TV websites (CBC Gem, Tubi, Pluto, Xumo, Stirr, Plex, Distro TV, Freeview etc) which I was running exclusively on Chrome and IMO are working far better than Chrome  which hasn't been very responsive for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much all of the foodcourts in TO (downtown core) have all games on in the daytime.  And with a bit a sound.  Anyone can sit there and watch the games.  Unlike a pub,  you dont have to order food in a foodcourt.  There is even a special room for watching the WC games that was setup with seating like in a stadium setting and a giant screen with clear sound.  

World Cup was prominent for 2022 Canada Google trends.

The most asked "how to" question was: 1. How to watch the World Cup. This is a reflection that football followers don't watch paid linear sports tv and/or are cord cutters/never corders.

Number 10 was: How to pronounce Qatar?

World Cup was third most searched term overall. In the news category, World Cup was #7.

In the sports category, World Cup was #1 & Canada Soccer was #8. Of the top 10 sports searches, only Calgary Flames was hockey related. Rest covered Olympics, CFL, cricket, NBA & tennis.

https://blog.google/intl/en-ca/products/explore-get-answers/year-in-search-2022-moments-that-brought-canadians-together/

Edited by red card