How Will You Watch Canada (TV/Stream)

As I have no cable, I am reminded (thanks to Narduch) that the best solution for me will be CTV OTA (Over the Air).  Not only that but it will be the best signal quality (uncompressed video). I am so used to looking for difficult solutions I forget what's easiest and nearest to home.

My next option (and possibly first depending on commentary) will be a stream of either BBC or possibly Fox.

Where to watch World Cup 2022 live in Canada: Complete TV, online streaming schedule on CTV, TSN
Kyle Bonn sportingnews.com November 19, 2022

So how will you watch?

4 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not Paw Patrol. He likes watching YouTube videos of clips from Star Wars cartoons with music put over them and then sings along as loud as he can or he likes watching this guy from Austria who assembles every Lego set

I feel for you, my 8 year old makes me watch minecraft Lego vids.  Its payback for me making my dad watch scoobie doo in the 70's.  

Well, I am in Argentina, without access to onesoccer, and fortunately all  the  matches except  for the 3rd group  match will be live on  free TV on cable. Because Canada matches are not a big draw, they  will be on Public TV here, as the licensee TyC has sold some of it's less desirable matches (such as the ones with Qatar) to  the Public one.

For the 3rd match, I  will go to my old standby, the Turkish scuzzy website "Hesgoal", and hope the retransmission  (sometimes onesoccer, or some foreign-language one), will be fine. If anybody else tries , only refresh using the top of your computer, click nothing  except the match link on the webpage.

When we make the Group of 16, I will go to the bar where I will watch the Argentina matches here in Mendoza.

As an independent English-language teacher, I  have scheduled all my classes between or after all 64 matches.

Edited by beachesl

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

On my laptop at work, at least for the weekday matches. Depending on what my grade 7 students allow, maybe it goes up on the projector screen.

I've been projecting some of the games to my gr 8 students. They all want to watch the world cup. Mind you I teach in Brampton, most of these kids love football. 

But for the Wednesday game i will take half a day and watch it at home with my dad. First world cup game in our new home land together. Albeit 29 years after arriving here but still. Last time we watched a wc game that "our" country participated in was in 1990.  This is special. 

SBS is showing every match of the World Cup live on FTA TV here in Australia. Our matches kick off at 6 am, 3 am, and 3 am, respectively. I'll be watching alone on my couch albeit with an active What'sApp chat going with my brother and nephew in Sweden, my cousins in Vancouver, and my high school mates, with whom I'd have definitely have been at the World Cup in person had it been in just about any other country in the world.

27 minutes ago, lamptern said:

On cell phone for every week days, sadly.

TV for most weekends and projector on a 135” screen in basement for matches can’t be missed, happily.

I had a projector and set up the big screen in my basement studio but sadly it only lasted a year which apparently is not uncommon, I have since bought a 65" Sony for my living room and enjoy the comfort of watching games there, as much as I liked the huge screen I think I will wait for a clearer, quieter and more dependable projector before I get back into it!

Down at the pub, with 300 of my closest friends.  (Recorded for post match analysis.)

The Old Toothless Cat I recently set up with a digital OTA antenna and the picture quality is outstanding.  Will take him down to his local to get in a Jets game every week, he likes his pub time, but doesn't want to go anymore!   Not if he can get it off the antenna that's how much better the picture is..  Fine by me, cheaper to drink beer at his place that The Central, Transcona dive or no.

Two more sleeps!

56 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

set up with a digital OTA antenna and the picture quality is outstanding.  Not if he can get it off the antenna that's how much better the picture is..

For any future cordcutters, FYI, there is no such thing as a digital or HD antenna or a 150 mile radius.  Any antenna can receive a digital signal and a good setup (antenna and placement) will range around 70 miles.  The same antenna your parents or grandparents would have used is just fine.  Even a paper clip will do the trick if you are close enough to a transmitter but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

2 hours ago, gator said:

I had a projector and set up the big screen in my basement studio but sadly it only lasted a year which apparently is not uncommon, I have since bought a 65" Sony for my living room and enjoy the comfort of watching games there, as much as I liked the huge screen I think I will wait for a clearer, quieter and more dependable projector before I get back into it!

A TV in living room is always popular for all family members and it’s more accessible to convenience and treats. The setup of a basement studio gives people to much impression of serious watching/listening. Hence, I found the utilization between them are not comparable at all after one year of my studio/home theatre completed. WC and Olympic Games are my basement time every 2 years😅

I will happily attend all Canada games at local businesses that sell beverages and tasty tidbits, for the sheer pleasure of being in a crowd of like-minded individuals intent on enjoyment of same.

For all other matches, I will ruthlessly pillage them from the interweb, for free, going to great lengths to shut down their annoying ads and tedious warnings.  Same as 90% of my viewing needs...death of cable was quickly followed by the bloat of streaming, and the end of reasonable availability.  Hence, piracy...sorry.  My guests do hate me clicking off the ads, but I have zero guilt, and we both end up enjoying the variety afforded.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

For any future cordcutters, FYI, there is no such thing as a digital or HD antenna or a 150 mile radius.  Any antenna can receive a digital signal and a good setup (antenna and placement) will range around 70 miles.  The same antenna your parents or grandparents would have used is just fine.  Even a paper clip will do the trick if you are close enough to a transmitter but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Don't know if that antenna cost $25.  He's in an old block and it's a bit of a bunker so had to play around with it to get all the local channels but can't complain.  No PVR but he's retired.  Sets the alarm on his mobile and sleeps in his chair until his program comes on. 

Back in the day set up a 30' tower for the older brother.  He was/is a bit gadget happy and got into short wave for a while.  Kinda cool, would play chess with some guy down in Mexico (maybe Costa Rico?) Monday nights if they could get all the ducks lined up and co-operating.