Canada's World Cup Roster

narduch

12 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Hopefully, he can put it all together on a consistent basis.  We've had a fair number of guys with the tools who couldn't.

Apparently I am telling anyone who will listen he needs to be a striker.  His biggest faults will be less obvious and he could learn to use his size better.  His quick feet and pace and greed will still be useful.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I guess the injuries basically eliminated any potential surprises. I think we all more or less had a consensus of 30 or so players from whom the 26 would be picked from. After Henry, Crepeau, and Kennedy went down it basically settled it for everyone. The only other players who maybe had a chance were Brym and Corbeanu (plus those who had a faint hope for Arfield), but they were always in that 23-26 range anyways.

Edited by rydermike

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Did Corbeanu play in the Ocho?

Not in the Ocho. He got on the field in the First stage games against the minnows and played at the Gold Cup (and against Uruguay)

Also, Leutwiler and Gutierez got called up during the Ocho but didn't play.

Edited by rydermike

26 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Not in the Ocho. He got on the field in the First stage games against the minnows and played at the Gold Cup (and against Uruguay)

Also, Leutwiler and Gutierez got called up during the Ocho but didn't play.

How many, say, did our other CONCACAF rivals use during the Ocho when deciding upon their final Qatar rosters?

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Did most of these players play in L1O during their NCAA offseasons?

Yes and no.

St. Clair, Miller, and Johnston started playing L1O before they went to NCAA (and then continued in their offseasons)

Laryea, Buchanan, and Larin played in their offseasons 

Fraser and Kaye were with the TFC Academy

So, L1O probably wasn't really crucial to their success (since they all would've gone to NCAA or through TFC), like the CPL was crucial for Waterman, but still a nice success story for the league

Edited by rydermike

7 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Yes and no.

St. Clair, Miller, and Johnston started playing L1O before they went to NCAA (and then continued in their offseasons)

Laryea, Buchanan, and Larin played in their offseasons 

Fraser and Kaye were with the TFC Academy

So, L1O probably wasn't really crucial to their success (since they all would've gone to NCAA or through TFC), like the CPL was crucial for Waterman, but still a nice success story for the league

I think who is crucial to their success sometimes you have to go back even further before they even played L1O or CPL or MLS , but what all these leagues are doing now is giving these players a goal something to aspire too, a stepping stone to something higher and keeping these guys in the game . Back in the day when there was basically nothing for all those players that played before , you can’t believe how many good young players I saw quit the game because after youth soccer there was nothing no stepping stones . However, now we are keeping these good players playing soccer and more of them having aspirations and that is only going to be good for our game in Canada and the national team .

The only player who could legitimately feel disappointed is Corbeanu. 

I think he hurt himself by making himself unavailable in the January window. This was his choice, he decided not to go and focus on club. Too many here made excuses for him; I don't think Herdman thought it was irrelevant.

So these could be the consequences. And I think he is perfectly aware that his refusal has now been a factor.

Of the 26 players on the squad, I see 17 of them getting regular minutes

Majority of playing time:
Milan Borjan
Alistair Johnston, Samuel Adekugbe, Kamal Miller, Steven Vitoria, Richie Laryea
Samuel Piette, Stephen Eustaquio, Atiba Hutchinson, Ismael Kone, David Wotherspoon 
Junior Hoilett, Tajon Buchanan, Cyle Larin, Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David, Jonathan Osorio,

Gettig some minutes - Liam Fraser, Lucas Cavallini,  Ike Ugbo, Liam Millar, Derek Cornelius

Not getting any minutes - Dayne St. Clair, James Pantamis, Mark Anthony Kaye, Joel Waterman

7 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Of the 26 players on the squad, I see 17 of them getting regular minutes

Majority of playing time:
Milan Borjan
Alistair Johnston, Samuel Adekugbe, Kamal Miller, Steven Vitoria, Richie Laryea
Samuel Piette, Stephen Eustaquio, Atiba Hutchinson, Ismael Kone, David Wotherspoon 
Junior Hoilett, Tajon Buchanan, Cyle Larin, Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David, Jonathan Osorio,

Gettig some minutes - Liam Fraser, Lucas Cavallini,  Ike Ugbo, Liam Millar, Derek Cornelius

Not getting any minutes - Dayne St. Clair, James Pantamis, Mark Anthony Kaye, Joel Waterman

People here won't like it but I'd be shocked if Kaye doesn't see a single minute. I agree with your other selections.