Canada's World Cup Roster

narduch

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Wow. Sounds like Henry could’ve been selected and it was a tactical decision to drop him. 

Arfield was in the extended roster but his decision to not commit against the minnows made it was tough to bring him back in. 

Is that the impression you got from listening to Herdman? Sounded like the total opposite to me.

Just now, jonovision said:

Is that the impression you got from listening to Herdman? Sounded like the total opposite to me.

Thats the impression I got. He said it was the the most difficult decision/ conversation of his career. If he was injured, yes it would be a difficult decision to drop him, but not the most difficult of his career.  He never said it was because of injury. 

Just now, king1010 said:

Wow. Sounds like Henry could’ve been selected and it was a tactical decision to drop him. 

Arfield was in the extended roster but his decision to not commit against the minnows made it was tough to bring him back in. 

I think it’s a mixture of factors. If he was 100% healthy he gets in, but it sounds like the margins were too fine to trust he would be fit in time. We definitely miss having his physical presence.

Just now, king1010 said:

Thats the impression I got. He said it was the the most difficult decision/ conversation of his career. If he was injured, yes it would be a difficult decision to drop him, but not the most difficult of his career.  He never said it was because of injury. 

Talking about Doneil, he said almost exactly the same things as he did talking about Doneil right after the Bahrain match, when it was 100% about injury.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Same with me. Waterman gets to a World Cup despite having a sole cap and an unimpressive one where he makes two calamitous mistakes on a goal - this only happens if Henry’s fitness is in question, which was quite obvious from him his pre match injury two days ago. 

So kit numbers per https://www.canadasoccer.com/national/camps/?teamId=2068

1- Dayne St. Clair

2- Alistair Johnston

3- Samuel Adekugbe

4 - Kamal Miller

5 - Steven Vitoria

6 - Samuel Piette

7 - Stephen Eustaquio

8 - Liam Fraser

9 - Lucas Cavallini

10- Junior Hoilett

11 - Tajon Buchanan

12- Ike Ugbo

13 - Atiba Hutchinson

14 - Mark Anthony Kaye

15 - Ismael Kone

16 - James Pantamis

17 - Cyle Larin

18 - Milan Borjan

19 - Alphonso Davies

20 - Jonathan David

21 - Jonathan Osorio

22 - Richie Laryea

23 - Liam Millar

24 - David Wotherspoon 

25 - Derek Cornelius

26 - Joel Waterman

Edited by rydermike
kit numbers released here https://www.canadasoccer.com/national/camps/?teamId=2068

2 minutes ago, rydermike said:

So kit numbers based on the pictures (or the obvious ones that that always use)

1- Dayne St. Clair

2- Alistair Johnston

3- Sam Adekugbe

4 - Kamal Miller

5 - Steven Vitoria

6 - Sam Piette

7 - Stephen Eustaquio

8 - 

9 - Lucas Cavallini

10- Junior Hoilett

11 - Tajon Buchanan

12- 

13 - Atiba Hutchinson

14 - Mark Anthony Kaye

15 -

16 - James Pantamis

17 - Cyle Larin

18 - Milan Borjan

19 - Alphonso Davies

20 - Jonathan David

21 - Jonathan Osorio

22 - Richie Laryea

23 - 

24 - David Wotherspoon (since I see a 4) 

25 - Derek Cornelius

26 - Joel Waterman

That leaves Kone (15?), Fraser (8?), Millar 23?), Ugbo (12?)

LM 23

Given the injuries that we have, I think this is the exact roster we should have expected.  The big thing for me is always, who was left off and whose place should they take?  Waterman is the one surprise, but again, who should have been there instead?  ZBG is an argument, but I don't mind Waterman instead - a toss up for me.

38 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I had Corbeanu over Cavallini for a moment but came to my senses. I had started to look ahead to 2026 where I think he could be a major contributor.

I might have taken Corbeanu over Ugbo but I think the former can be a striker. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Given the injuries that we have, I think this is the exact roster we should have expected.  The big thing for me is always, who was left off and whose place should they take?  Waterman is the one surprise, but again, who should have been there instead?  ZBG is an argument, but I don't mind Waterman instead - a toss up for me.

Waterman is there because both Kennedy & Henry got hurt. Fraser may have also benefitted from this because he has played CB at times during his youth (something Greg Vanney angrily told people angrily about when they questioned why he played him at CB one game for TFC). I think his long diagonal ball to speedy wingers can help us in this tourney.

My guess is that Edwards & Corbeanu were the choices to go if disaster happened and Davies' injury was worse than expected. Millar played more of a role in the last round of qualifying than Theo did, and offers perhaps a bit more positional flexibility I suspect which is likely why he got the nod.