York United - 2023 Season Thread

On 10/20/2022 at 9:52 PM, narduch said:

Heard about the Academy but the coach news is new. Some interesting names.

Oscar Cordon 

Roberto Stillo

David Velastegui

Who are they and what have they achieved. And do the players selected need to pay in this academy or will it by like TFC, everything covered.

18 minutes ago, ATM said:

Who are they and what have they achieved. And do the players selected need to pay in this academy or will it by like TFC, everything covered.

They are ex players.

Cordon was a TFC Academy player.

Stillo was in the Italian lower leagues.

Not familiar with the 3rd guy

I have no idea If its pay to play. But I suspect it is 

7 minutes ago, ATM said:

Who are they and what have they achieved.

I'm not sure if you were trying to downplay their caliber, but they're all pretty well known names in Canadian soccer bubbles.

Stillo was once seen as our national team keeper of the future. He's still gotta be in his early thirties. He was at Parma in Serie A during his younger years but I don't believe he ever made a start. I recall him getting a senior national team call but I don't believe he ever played, this would've been the tail end of the Hirschfeld era when guys like Simon Thomas and Kenny Stamatopolous were getting games (and Borjan was less established). Never panned out, and has since kicked around League 1 Ontario. Goalkeeper coach for Ryerson most recently.

Velastegui is one of the most successful players in Ontario semi-pro soccer. He's kicked around the CSL and L1O for a good decade, always as one of the top players across the league. He's had a few on-and-off again professional opportunities in Central and South America, but he always seems to come back. A bit surprising that he never made it in the CPL, but perhaps the timing wasn't right. All-time leading scorer for Sheridan College as well, and that's a program who had players like Mo Babouli and Raheem Edwards pan out.

Cordon played for TFC in the early days but his professional career was short-lived as he ended up back in L1O.  He may have been involved in the youth national team setup, but I don't think he ever made it into the senior side.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm not sure if you were trying to downplay their caliber, but they're all pretty well known names in Canadian soccer bubbles.

Stillo was once seen as our national team keeper of the future. He's still gotta be in his early thirties. He was at Parma in Serie A during his younger years but I don't believe he ever made a start. I recall him getting a senior national team call but I don't believe he ever played, this would've been the tail end of the Hirschfeld era when guys like Simon Thomas and Kenny Stamatopolous were getting games (and Borjan was less established). Never panned out, and has since kicked around League 1 Ontario. Goalkeeper coach for Ryerson most recently.

Velastegui is one of the most successful players in Ontario semi-pro soccer. He's kicked around the CSL and L1O for a good decade, always as one of the top players across the league. He's had a few on-and-off again professional opportunities in Central and South America, but he always seems to come back. A bit surprising that he never made it in the CPL, but perhaps the timing wasn't right. All-time leading scorer for Sheridan College as well, and that's a program who had players like Mo Babouli and Raheem Edwards pan out.

Cordon played for TFC in the early days but his professional career was short-lived as he ended up back in L1O.  He may have been involved in the youth national team setup, but I don't think he ever made it into the senior side.

I wasn't down playing anyone....just asking who are they, and if the players need to pay to be in the Academy. 

42 minutes ago, Big_M said:

its pay to play..they are already losing millions cant afford to lose a few million more a year for an academy..actually might make them money if it works out well

Like the rest of club soccer albeit Toronto FC in Ontario.

I like that they started this, as it brings more notoriety to the club and hopefully it will help with development.

I wish more CPL clubs would do this, so that a greater pathway is created, and a better funnelling of players happens nation wide.

"On its website — accompanied by very detailed renderings of a modular build with York United FC signage — SixFive boasts that its modular design systems can be produced at almost unbelievable speeds, citing the earthworks stage to a completed 2,500-5,000-seat venue in an astonishing 60 days.

For the new Woodbine facility's 8,000-seat size, the company claims that modular design would allow them to assemble a 7,500-to-10,000-seat facility in just three months."

Interesting timeframe? 

20 hours ago, toontownman said:

"On its website — accompanied by very detailed renderings of a modular build with York United FC signage — SixFive boasts that its modular design systems can be produced at almost unbelievable speeds, citing the earthworks stage to a completed 2,500-5,000-seat venue in an astonishing 60 days.

For the new Woodbine facility's 8,000-seat size, the company claims that modular design would allow them to assemble a 7,500-to-10,000-seat facility in just three months."

Interesting timeframe? 

Haha, isn't that what the league said about all pending announcements back in the day? 60 to 90 days! Nice to see even stadium builds are 60 to 90 days.

It's a bit of an eyeopener given York United are owned by the CEO of a construction company. What was left out of the story is that this project doesn't appear to have CSA backing. The CSA are keen to proceed with a facility in the City of Vaughan where 2026 funding is concerned:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

That Mayor didn't seek relection and is out in Vaughan so who knows where that project stands.

I won't believe either of these projects are happening until shovels are in the ground.

However Six Five Sports seem to be good at getting shit done. My guess is the York United project has a higher probability of happening than the Vaughan proposal 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:47 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

YORK UNITED FC ANNOUNCES STAGGERING RADIO FIGURES FOR 2022

Not sure how "staggering" these #s are, but looks promising.

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/a-testament-to-the-power-of-local-sport-york-united-fc-announces-staggering-radio-figures-for-2022

Judging by the club's excitement at the numbers, I hope this means the radio brings in a little revenue for them.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

The Vaughan proposal doesn’t make any sense man. There’s more than enough facilities there, including the OSA.

Bring it somewhere else like East Toronto, or Durham Region. 

Pretty sure City of Vaughan already put money into the stadium at the Ontario Soccer Centre that TFC 2 used for one season.

They were supposed to expand that stadium further but canceled those plans after TFC 2 was an abject failure attendance wise.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Pretty sure City of Vaughan already put money into the stadium at the Ontario Soccer Centre that TFC 2 used for one season.

They were supposed to expand that stadium further but canceled those plans after TFC 2 was an abject failure attendance wise.

Yea that was weird.

even more weird that their League 1 team doesn’t use that field.