Watch party logistics?

Hello all

I am wondering if anyone has tips for a noob when it comes to organizing a watch party.   I am starting to think about (maybe) trying to get one going here in Charlottetown so figured I would pick the collective brain for the wisdom.

As a first step I would probably get in touch with the local soccer association to see if they are organizing anything, but barring that, I would need to make the necessary arrangements.  I am thinking securing the location, promotion and advertisement, food(?), drink specials…  I assume any costs are just borne by the organizer or the attendees and that there is no such thing as funding from the CSA to assist with the cost of providing snacks etc.

If anyone has any pointers they can share it would be appreciated.   I still may just default to watching the games at home with my wife and kids, but really the only one who shows interest in supporting the Nats is my wife and I don’t feel like trying to bribe my kids to watch the games.  

I had a chat with Canada Soccer a couple of weeks ago and they are planning on doing something (similar to the “event in the box” thing that @Califax mentioned).  However, I was made aware that any business that wants to show the games, legally, needs to get the permission of TSN as the rights holder.  What exactly that means, I don’t know but we are supposed to find out as bars who have been showing Canada games have already started preliminary planning.  Will try and do a bit of follow up on this.

31 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Is it too early to start planning watch parties for the world cup? Thought it be nice to try and find a pub in London  where people could meet up as there use to be a few of us here. No idea if there are any other Canadians in London now. 

I started scouting a couple of spots today and reached out to the PEISA to see if they are doing anything that would conflict.  So not too early for me lol 

On 9/15/2022 at 5:10 PM, JamboAl said:

I had a chat with Canada Soccer a couple of weeks ago and they are planning on doing something (similar to the “event in the box” thing that @Califax mentioned).  However, I was made aware that any business that wants to show the games, legally, needs to get the permission of TSN as the rights holder.  What exactly that means, I don’t know but we are supposed to find out as bars who have been showing Canada games have already started preliminary planning.  Will try and do a bit of follow up on this.

Curious about the TSN-rights thing.  It isn’t PPV so can TSN just impose a fee on any sporting event that they choose to enforce?  Seems a bit odd considering pretty much every bar in the country shows a ton of sports all the time on their TVs.   I could understand the logic if it was a PPV event but for things on normal channels it seems dubious.   They don’t do it for the Olympics, the Stanley Cup, etc (at least that I am aware of).  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Curious about the TSN-rights thing.  It isn’t PPV so can TSN just impose a fee on any sporting event that they choose to enforce?  Seems a bit odd considering pretty much every bar in the country shows a ton of sports all the time on their TVs.   I could understand the logic if it was a PPV event but for things on normal channels it seems dubious.   They don’t do it for the Olympics, the Stanley Cup, etc (at least that I am aware of).  

The only thing I can think of is whether the bar has a commercial license for TSN as part of their cable package.  I’ll just pass on the message if/when I receive it.

Canada games will be on CTV as well, which no one needs a license for.

But yeah, this is no different than any other sporting event on regular cable. As long as the establishment has the proper (commercial) cable/satellite package, which the overwhelming majority of bars/pubs do, there should be no issue showing the games.

auughhhhh...so awesome to hear about Canada World Cup parties being planned.  For my whole life, it has been the Italian, the English, the Portuguese, the whatever WC party.  And they were often fantastic!  But to have a chance for a real Canadian one, and maybe to have a few of my Italian buddies treated to our joyous celebration?  It's well past due.  

I am wondering if this section do the forum gets way less traffic than the CMNT section.    I don’t check in here that much and maybe others are the same (thread views suggest is is less visited).  I may post there to get a bit more uptake if this one doesn’t get picked up much because it is something we probably want to start thinking about.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am wondering if this section do the forum gets way less traffic than the CMNT section.    I don’t check in here that much and maybe others are the same (thread views suggest is is less visited).  I may post there to get a bit more uptake if this one doesn’t get picked up much because it is something we probably want to start thinking about.

Are you thinking about watch parties at residences or at bars/pubs?  I think we have to give preferential treatment to those places that showed games over the last year (or more).  In a place like Charlottetown, for example, I don't think any place was identified.  

There should also be a commitment to prioritize Canada games over other countries (not like that should be an issue).  Also we have to think how we want to manage a place that would prefer to show an NFL Sunday pregame show over Canada v Croatia...a place like that should not be included in any promotion by the Voyageurs or any of us.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Are you thinking about watch parties at residences or at bars/pubs?  I think we have to give preferential treatment to those places that showed games over the last year (or more).  In a place like Charlottetown, for example, I don't think any place was identified.  

There should also be a commitment to prioritize Canada games over other countries (not like that should be an issue).  Also we have to think how we want to manage a place that would prefer to show an NFL Sunday pregame show over Canada v Croatia...a place like that should not be included in any promotion by the Voyageurs or any of us.

I am thinking at a local bar.  And definitely Canada games - I am not interested in organizing anything for non-Canada games.  And I doubt it would be a challenge to secure pregame coverage.  I think if I got a local bar to host an event, they would be more than happy to show all the pregame for the WC. 

On 9/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, JamboAl said:

The only thing I can think of is whether the bar has a commercial license for TSN as part of their cable package.  I’ll just pass on the message if/when I receive it.

Yes, TSN and Sportsnet require a premium package for any business with a liquor license. 

Sports Packages FAQ - Small Business - Bell Aliant

But when it comes to say having a showing on a big screen in a public setting that is a completely different type of permission. It would be similar to what was granted for all the Jurassic Park's across Canada during the Raptors championship run. 

Likely will be the vast majority of the places we’ve had in qualifying.  For anyone wondering and who is willing to ask their venue whether they have the commercial license to show TSN/CTV, then do so.  If for any reason they do not, the place cannot be promoted by the Voyageurs.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet.  Canada Soccer has been swamped with logistics, ticketing for the family and friends of the players and staff as well as trying to finalize pregame events in Qatar.  But I’m hoping to hear something soon.  We will be putting a call out for local organizers in the major cities.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not yet.  Canada Soccer has been swamped with logistics, ticketing for the family and friends of the players and staff as well as trying to finalize pregame events in Qatar.  But I’m hoping to hear something soon.  We will be putting a call out for local organizers in the major cities.

For the record, Charlottetown is a major city.