Match Thread: September 10, 2022 - HFX Wanderers v Valour

narduch

#DosSantosOut

I'm joking of course, but one month of good work has been undone by an atrocious 90 minutes against a finished opponent. Lots of questions to be asked, including why he continues to play a man short each week by starting Fordyce, and why he started AJB when he clearly isn't fit enough to be in a uniform.

Plenty of questions to be asked of the players as well. And HFX does have the best natural homefield advantage in the league (not even considering the fans), which makes it tough to play there. But not this tough.

Edited by jonovision

2 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Jeezuz, what an absolutely disastrous result for Valour.  Inconceivable after their previous three results to haul themselves back into Playoff contention. 

But as they say in the CPL, on Any Given Saturday……...   🤷🏻‍♂️

It was fun while it lasted. They're done. It's not even so much the result. I think all Valour fans would have almost guaranteed that they would drop points in this match. It was the mentality by the players and coach against a poor opponent. No professionalism or commitment or will.

Edited by jonovision

Not sure why but we seem to have Valour and Pacific's number at home in Halifax.  We've been very well organized defensively the last few games.  Doesn't make things very exciting... any time we generate a quality chance the crowd gives a big round of applause.  That's the state of the Halifax offense at the Wanderers Grounds.

1 hour ago, gwsmith63 said:

Three most popular words in the 2022 CPL season?

PENALTY TO HALIFAX!!!

I'm not going to go back and re-watch the game... from my spot in the stands it looked like there could have been 3-4 penalty calls in the box for Halifax.  I agree it all does seem a bit ridiculous and there's no doubt that Salter and Fumpa can simulate a foul with the best of them.

Were any of the other close calls actual fouls/penalties in anyone's honest opinion?  I'd would have been happy with the Salter one not being called, they could have given Salty a yellow for simulation.  Some of the others seemed really close though and I figured the ref just ate the whistle after giving the first penalty.

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm not going to go back and re-watch the game... from my spot in the stands it looked like there could have been 3-4 penalty calls in the box for Halifax.  I agree it all does seem a bit ridiculous and there's no doubt that Salter and Fumpa can simulate a foul with the best of them.

Were any of the other close calls actual fouls/penalties in anyone's honest opinion?  I'd would have been happy with the Salter one not being called, they could have given Salty a yellow for simulation.  Some of the others seemed really close though and I figured the ref just ate the whistle after giving the first penalty.

The biggest miss by the ref in the game was on a play where HFX picked up a yellow card. Valour were on the break and if the referee had played advantage they would have been 2-on-0 vs the goalkeeper from the halfway line.

Failing to play advantage seems to be a consistent issue for these CPL refs.

32 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The biggest miss by the ref in the game was on a play where HFX picked up a yellow card. Valour were on the break and if the referee had played advantage they would have been 2-on-0 vs the goalkeeper from the halfway line.

Failing to play advantage seems to be a consistent issue for these CPL refs.

THAT was brutal.

Mrs C.

"That was the most advantagey advantage ever?  What the actual fu'k."

Or words to that effect..