2023 CONCACAF Champions League

On 7/28/2022 at 12:10 PM, narduch said:

Also of note, Sacramento Republic of USL Championship are 1 win away from being the 1st ever USL team in Champions League.

They will face Orlando in the US Open Cup final on September 7.

Great story. I think that's 3 MLS teams now they have eliminated. Looks like it was a packed stadium for the game, which means 11k fans, which apparently is what they have usually gotten since they started in 2014. I have to say I'm a bit jealous. I wish we had some CPL teams with that level of fan support, and a CPL team making it to the V Cup final (2020 doesn't count, since that was essentially awarded to the CPL).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 12:10 PM, narduch said:

Also of note, Sacramento Republic of USL Championship are 1 win away from being the 1st ever USL team in Champions League.

There were two USL teams in the 2008-09 Champions Leagues; Montreal Impact and the Puerto Rico Islanders. I'm not sure if there were any others (though Puerto Rico Islanders appeared again after they left USL).

Edited by nfitz

• 3 weeks later...

Avoiding Tigres, Alajualense and Olimpia is all you can ask really. Hopefully VWFC can have a good run. It's been a while since a Canadian team has had a good run in CCL. We haven't had a semi finalist since TFC made the final in 2018.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, narduch said:

Going to be hilarious when they have to move the game to BMO Field 

Yeah, you could very well be right. LOL Would CONCACAF even approve the other facilities in the Van area. Have to remember it has to be broadcast friendly keeping VAR considerations in mind. It is why TFC ended up playing at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa with Orlando City's stadium unavailable and two other area stadiums were deemed not good enough. Could get interesting. 

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Yeah, you could very well be right. LOL Would CONCACAF even approve the other facilities in the Van area. Have to remember it has to be broadcast friendly keeping VAR considerations in mind. It is why TFC ended up playing at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa with Orlando City's stadium unavailable and two other area stadiums were deemed not good enough. Could get interesting. 

Swangard has hosted many international events, including several games at the 2007 U20 World Cup. I'm sure it'd be fine for CCL match, if that's where they proposed to play the match. 

• 4 weeks later...