Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Final - Vancouver Whitecaps vs Toronto FC - July 26, 2022

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

What was the root of Toronto's collective strop which resulted in them refusing to speak to any media after the match?

My view was that since TFC stayed on the pitch for the entire celebration, and up to the awarding of the trophy, that was respectful on their part, and I appreciated it. Then, as soon as Rusty lifed the silverware, they filed out.

So that was at least 20 min maybe more. So it was already late.

IMO the competition should always require the coach and at least one player after for a press conference, make it a rule. They're pros.

As for the tiff with Sartini, there is a certain logic to it. Here is TFC making like they are god's gift to Italy and working the Italian angle, when it's frankly ridiculous on a lot of levels. Starting with "are Italians in Toronto so lame that they'll only support TFC if its stuffed with big-name Italian players?". Which is really Manning treating fans like idiots.

Then, fact is, Sartini is as Italian as the rest of them. There's this implication that if TFC had won the Italians would have celebrated, when there is no reason for them to not be happy for the Italian coach of Vancouver. If that is what we're talking about (though, true, he's far lesser known and not a legendary player).

He asked for an Italian flag towards the end, presumibly from someone there to support the TFC crew, and draped it over himself, Dajome had his Colombian flag, not sure if there weren't a few more like that.

More on this: while the natural colour of the Voyageurs and the V-Cup would be red, it was pretty good of Vancouver fans to not show any red anywhere, meaning not waving Canadian flags, not wearing red. Along with hardly any TFC fans, which I found odd. They gave out a free t-shirt at the start and the stands were mostly white with some blue and no red. 

I won't get into TFC effectively "usurping" the national colours when they are no more Canadian than any other team (I'm only half serious, but it is true that Toronto team colours in hockey or CFL or baseball are not red).

When I got home, walking distance, a family group of 6-7 was also going into my building, none wearing Caps colours, one guy only with a TFC shirt. He said he'd come out from Toronto for it, I suppose the family were not Caps fans. But as I say, virtually no TFC support and that was odd, as usually in league games you do see shirts.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Replying on the Insigne substitution. 

Immediately before he looked for a shot, dribbling past defenders to the front of the box, takes a shot with his right which goes over the net and wide. Then pulls up and raises his hand, looking at the bench. Comes out of the play limping, favouring his right leg. They sub him out.

You'll get his injury report soon, as they probably did not train today.

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As for the tiff with Sartini, there is a certain logic to it. Here is TFC making like they are god's gift to Italy and working the Italian angle, when it's frankly ridiculous on a lot of levels. Starting with "are Italians in Toronto so lame that they'll only support TFC if its stuffed with big-name Italian players?". Which is really Manning treating fans like idiots

This bugs me too.

As both a TFC season ticket holder and having Italian background. 

It's so shameless and Manning seems to be getting away with it. For now at least.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

This bugs me too.

As both a TFC season ticket holder and having Italian background. 

It's so shameless and Manning seems to be getting away with it. For now at least.

There's even the risk it hurts their performance if they think the mere fact of being Italian at TFC allows them to coast a bit. Like what a Mexican player might think in LA. 

But really: if a Slovenian came and tore things up, playing over the top, what sort of fan in TO or anywhere wouldn't go watch? And would you be less admiring as a fan? 

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Replying on the Insigne substitution. 

Immediately before he looked for a shot, dribbling past defenders to the front of the box, takes a shot with his right which goes over the net and wide. Then pulls up and raises his hand, looking at the bench. Comes out of the play limping, favouring his right leg. They sub him out.

You'll get his injury report soon, as they probably did not train today.

Noticed this as well. And as it happened, my Italian friend (who was cheering the Whitecaps but also appreciating seeing the Italians) said "yeah, that's the injury he keeps picking up. He'll be off for sure."

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's even the risk it hurts their performance if they think the mere fact of being Italian at TFC allows them to coast a bit. 

I don't think they coasted last night, but what we did notice is that there were a number of times it looked like the 3 Italians were only playing amongst themselves. And some of that is the nature of the positions, but some of it seemed to be almost a trust issue..as in "we don't trust the other players". It's obviously early days, but will be interesting to see if that was just a "one off" from joining a new team or something that maybe persists.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think they coasted last night, but what we did notice is that there were a number of times it looked like the 3 Italians were only playing amongst themselves. And some of that is the nature of the positions, but some of it seemed to be almost a trust issue..as in "we don't trust the other players". It's obviously early days, but will be interesting to see if that was just a "one off" from joining a new team or something that maybe persists.

I'm not talking about last night, it'd be more mid to longer term. Criscito who has more minutes was playing for the team and was fairly good. The other two seemed to be just getting their feet still, as if they'd hadn't fully engaged with the team yet. Or hadn't be asked to do much more.

But with Insigne, I won't be surprised if he doesn't do a lot more, unless they kick his butt or sit him on the bench. I saw him vs Barça this year and he was basically the same, to the point of indolence, he's in involution and can be disengaged. Do you think he played as if he realised he was playing a final for a trophy?

Maybe watching the opposing fans celebrate was good for those new guys, as it made them realise it's not just a Mickey Mouse league that pays well.

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He had to present the trophy to TFC and it looked like he was about to have to put down a long loved family pet.

That was also what my memory served up.

However, this made it harder to dig up this picture, since he was actually presenting it to the Impact in 2013. 

2 hours ago, sstackho said:

That was also what my memory served up.

However, this made it harder to dig up this picture, since he was actually presenting it to the Impact in 2013. 

Thanks, you’re right, it was the Impact.

9 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Didn't enjoy it that much when it happened but that was a wicked cross by Bernardeschi on Toronto's goal.

That unreal pass is in good part the Caps not going out to challenge a guy that was close the box. I mean really, just sitting back letting them pick them out.

So no, an unreal pass is when the defense is pressuring you and you don't have 5 seconds to prepare.

But that is MLS. The pressure on the ball is sometimes so weak there is no excuse not to make good passes.

Re shootouts, One thing I would like to see the CSA do, apart from increasing the Can Con requirements to 4 starting players, is to make it a rule that you have to designate at least one Canadian player to take part in the initial 5 shooters or the keeper. Seems to make sense to me in terms of keeping in the spirit and intention of using Canadian content to determine the winner of the Canadian championship. 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think Bradley's position was fair. I have also posted that the fact they stayed on their bench for a long 20 minutes at least until the V-Cup was awarded was enough respect for me.

Vanni was over the top, more than even the players. What I mean is: the players are the ones you let celebrate as they will, as they are kids, they are the main characters of the story; you are still the coach and take second fiddle.

The coach should not be the team leader in crazy euphoria, and especially not running around alone. He came to the Southside once, thankful, then came again, quite a while after, to get his Italian flag from an Insigne supporter. 

I mean: he's happy and has every right to be, but a lot of that is overcompensating, clearly. And he's no Mourinho, he's no soccer genius with a provocative personality, so let's not go that way. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think Bradley's position was fair. I have also posted that the fact they stayed on their bench for a long 20 minutes at least until the V-Cup was awarded was enough respect for me.

Vanni was over the top, more than even the players. What I mean is: the players are the ones you let celebrate as they will, as they are kids, they are the main characters of the story; you are still the coach and take second fiddle.

The coach should not be the team leader in crazy euphoria, and especially not running around alone. He came to the Southside once, thankful, then came again, quite a while after, to get his Italian flag from an Insigne supporter. 

I mean: he's happy and has every right to be, but a lot of that is overcompensating, clearly. And he's no Mourinho, he's no soccer genius with a provocative personality, so let's not go that way. 

I don't mind that Sartini celebrated like a mad man, he's something of a character which, seeing how low the attendance has been in some regular season games this year for Vancouver, is frankly something the Whitecaps could use if he becomes something of a galvanizing figure for the team & fans.

My only (mild) complaint would be the apparent dishonesty of pointing the finger at TFC players in his comments to the press without mentioning the fact that he taunted them first which is why they didn't want to shake his hand. And this is not exactly something that is riling me up or that I'm likely to lose sleep over. In fact it's somewhat hilarious, the sort of thing that you might find in a sitcom or Will Farrell comedy film depicting a kid's basketball game where Farell, as the coach of the winning team, goes up to the defeated player who missed the tying free throw shot and shouts "Nya nya nya nya nya nyahh! You suck, loser!!" at him before he extends his hand for the honourable handshake.