Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Final - Vancouver Whitecaps vs Toronto FC - July 26, 2022

Just back from the game.  Terrific event, entertaining game, right result 😉.  Lively crowd, especially for a Tuesday night with almost everyone going home happy (sorry TFC and Italian-kit wearing fans). Club promoted the hell out of this game and got a great attendance.  This isn't a complaint about OneSoccer, but it is a shame this game wasn't more widely available (though I did have at least one friend message me to say he was subscribing to OneSoccer for a month just for this game...and he's already canceled it).

Now, with about 20 minutes left did I think to myself "You know, the Whitecaps have broken my heart in this competition in a number of ways....but they've never lost in a shootout"?   And have I frequently thought "It's going to be incredibly embarrassing if a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and ties the Whitecaps at 1, despite the Whitecaps having a 15 year head start?"....no further questions!  This post is over!

1 hour ago, masster said:

That game needed 30 extra minutes! I mean this is a cup final. If you say it is a big deal, then treat it like one.

I can understand the desire to go straight to penalties in earlier rounds of the competition, but when you reach the final, treat the occasion with the respect it deserves. 

I actually thought it did have extra time, didn't realize it would go to penalties. 

Since both teams had subbed out key pieces, it would've made it interesting. 

Caps had a better 1st half, then poorly took off the pressure from the start of the second. Only after the goal did it even back a bit. Thought Nelson was good for TFC, but everyone was very much in their little spot on the field and no one willing to break things apart. A tad robotic. Jiménez very poor, and Ayo not much better, the Italians still looking unsure except Criscito. For Caps many were good first half, like Cubas, and no-one had a poor match. Gressel an upgrade on Dajome, Raposo doing well in a solid way. 

Great celebration, we had a great time and it may not have felt like a final at the start, with slow tentative play, but by the end you could feel the tension. 

6 hours ago, masster said:

That game needed 30 extra minutes! I mean this is a cup final. If you say it is a big deal, then treat it like one.

I can understand the desire to go straight to penalties in earlier rounds of the competition, but when you reach the final, treat the occasion with the respect it deserves. 

I suspect this might be a MLS-clubs-friendly rule, given that it's expected that two MLS teams will play in the final and not want to have to go 120 minutes mid-week in between league games.

Less explainable or understandable IMO is the lack of VAR for a final when the teams have the capacity for it. Especially when the match was poorly officiated for both teams as it was last night.

12 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

What was the root of Toronto's collective strop which resulted in them refusing to speak to any media after the match?

First that I am hearing of this, but I guess this explains why no post-match interviews are up on the TFC website. I've been checking to find out if Insigne was injured when he came off or just didn't know about no extra-time if he asked to come off, because the decision to take a regular PK taker 3 minutes from PK's is otherwise bizarre and arguably cost them the championship if it was an unforced decision.

Come to think of it, I though I saw Bob Bradley have some animated words for Sartini just after the match ended but have no clue as to what.

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

First that I am hearing of this, but I guess this explains why no post-match interviews are up on the TFC website. I've been checking to find out if Insigne was injured when he came off or just didn't know about no extra-time if he asked to come off, because the decision to take a regular PK taker 3 minutes from PK's is otherwise bizarre and arguably cost them the championship if it was an unforced decision.

Come to think of it, I though I saw Bob Bradley have some animated words for Sartini just after the match ended but have no clue as to what.

Gutted for Toronto, but there's a small part of me that's alright with it. Vancouver really needed that. It's been so long since they won anything. It's kind of nice to see. Big opportunity missed by TFC with the new signings and whatnot, but from the birds eye view of Canadian soccer, it's probably a good thing Vancouver won for a change, instead of Toronto and Montreal continuing to dominate. 

Shame though that Toronto missed the chance to go into the record books as first club to win two Voyageurs cups in one season lol

The CSA should be looking to fine TFC for not talking to the media. It's the Championship game, and they disrespected it with that behavior post match. Amateur on their part.

Of course, I will also accept the punishment as "making TFC start in the early rounds of next year's Voyageurs Cup", the worst punishment they can imagine. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

What was the root of Toronto's collective strop which resulted in them refusing to speak to any media after the match?

I'm seeing a few comments that the TFC bench got in to it with Sartini after the game. He was going a bit bananas in front of them during the celebration. That might have something to do with it

9 hours ago, masster said:

I think four different series were decided by penalties this cup, and all of them could have used a second leg or a extra time