Canada v USA - Monday, July 18th - 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Greater Monterrey , Mexico

Positives:

• Prince was great. Beckie should have been the one to come off. 
  • Riviere is class and is still getting better.
  • Ditto Grosso. Disappointed not to see more of her. At a certain point we should look at sticking her up top if none of our forwards are going to show up.
  • Sheridan was solid all tournament.

Negatives

• The final third. No service to the forwards. Getting the ball into wide positions, but no meaningful crosses.
  • Inability to exploit the centre when defenders cheat wide.
  • Dumb turnovers 
  • throw-ins were absolute trash

Too bad, at least we were close. You feel a lack of urgency sometimes, like they are sleepwalking, even when behind a goal. Even the bench, the coaching staff. It's irritating.

What I would say is the main problem with the team right now is that we are slow to allow the old and oldish guard to change. There are too many hierarchies that are unjustified. Rapinoe stayed on bench, did she not? Couldn't Sinclair be a player to come on for a final 30 m push? Beckie is not clearly better than Huitema, not in her club play and not for Canada. 

I make an effort not be nasty about some details of the women's game. But one thing that is pretty imprecise is reffing. I am not saying this ref was bad, or the lines, or that the penalty could not be called; she did not affect the game. But there are always little errors that are really unbelievable, like you feel they are not even watching closely. Basic stuff that you sit there and say WTF?

I also suspect that those running the lines do not help at all, you get the sense that they just shut up and let the ref make her mistakes. There's a lot of work to be done.

I saw a CL game this year in the stadium with Stéphanie Frappart reffing, who they say is the best in the world. She had serious difficulties, it was a bit of a mess, she missed some constant hacks and then let the match get away from her because of her own errors. It was Barça-Real Madrid at Camp Nou and it was going to be high-spirited--it was like she'd never seen such a thing before. And she is a regular Ligue 1 ref. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

What was the point of having VAR in this game.  The penalty called by the referee was a mistake.  It was an enhanced falling by Lavalle and nothing more than that that the ref bought.  That call was inconsistent with the officiating.  A sin all too common. An undeserved goal by cry baby Morgan.

Not sure Bev got her tactics and formation right. And I am not sure she's quite figured out the strengths of her players and where best to play them.  Beckie is very athletic, but often does not connect well with her teammates, and I question playing her up front. She played in the back, more or less, for the final 10 or so minutes, and I wonder if that isn't a better place for her. To that end, I think Beckie, Buchanan and Gilles as a back three makes good sense, with 5 in the midfield, perhaps Lawrence and Riviere out wide, Scott/Quinn in the middle, with Grosso and Flemming flanking them. Then Prince up front with one of Leon/Huitema.  Sinclair could come off the bench, but she struggled to get into the game tonight, and I suspect Priestman and Sinclair need to consider winding down Sincy's time with the Nats. We needed to own the midfield, but we were never going to do that with only three in the mid.

I felt the PK call was soft, to be honest. The Yanks were woeful in the shooting department, but that Levell is a helluva player. So damned smart.

There are leaders on this team, leaders ready to take over from the old guard. Time to let them do so.