Jayde Riviere

rkomar

It's about time Jayde Riviere got her own thread here.  Here's an article from TSN about her: link

Although she is still in college, she looks ready for the international game.  I think we'll just see her getting better and better over the next few years.  The CWNT is pretty deep at right back (Carle, St. Georges, sometimes Beckie or Lawrence), so there is a lot of competition within the squad.  Riviere will need to keep improving to keep her current starting position.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

As expected, Riviere is set to sign in the WSL. Pending visa approval, it will be with Man United.

Article comments say this means Spanish fullback Ona Batlle is going to leave United. This is viewed unfavourably as she was the club's Player of the Year in her debut year.

Edited by red card

On 1/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, red card said:

As expected, Riviere is set to sign in the WSL. Pending visa approval, it will be with Man United.

Article comments say this means Spanish fullback Ona Batlle is going to leave United. This is viewed unfavourably as she was the club's Player of the Year in her debut year.

Batlle is a great player, you'd think they'd have Riviere understudy for a while under her.  I read that Manchester had been offered a major sum to buy her, think by Chelsea

Mind you, she's a rare case of an elite Catalan player that Barça let slip through their fingers, she was pushed out of the club when she was a teen. Her contract is up this summer, Barça probably needs a younger fullback since Bronze is getting older and Rolfo is a wing or attacker they've just reconverted to play fullback.

• 5 months later...

In an interview with 90min, Riviere says the only downfall to Manchester is the rain. She likes that it is a football-specific country. She needs to figure out when to use "innit" in conversations since everyone says it a lot. 

Compared to US college, it's very professional in terms of how you're treated and how the girls go about training. The speed of play is very different along with physicality and playing really, really strong teams. 

She had offers to go pro before heading to Michigan. But she got 28 scholarship offers and committed to Michigan at age 14.

https://www.90min.com/posts/jayde-riviere-interview-i-love-man-utd-even-rain-has-manchester-charm

• 5 months later...

I watched Riviere play against Bristol City this weekend on tv.  My impression was that she was a useful player, decent in defense, with very accurate passing.  A couple of drawbacks were that she still is easy to barge off the ball, and she is a bit tentative on attack, often choosing to pass backwards rather than make a speculative forward pass.  I think both drawbacks can be overcome as she ages and gets more strength and experience.  All in all, I think that she has been a good signing for ManU.