Canada vs Jamaica - Thursday, July 14th - 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Greater Monterrey , Mexico

CONCACAF W Championship
Semi-final match
Canada vs Jamaica
Thursday, July 14 2022
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific
Estadio Universitario, Greater Monterrey, Mexico

Broadcast:
ONESOCCER (live - online) , CBC Sports (3 hour delay)

Broadcast options outside Canada:
https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/watch/

The CONCACAF YouTube URL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doRoue50BaU
(you can use the link if you are in certain countries or have a VPN)

Preliminary Rosters:
https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/news/2022-concacaf-w-championship-preliminary-rosters-announced/

Final Rosters:
https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/news/2022-concacaf-w-championship-final-rosters-announced/

Canadian players who have played every single minute so far:
Buchanan
Fleming

Canadian players that have yet to play a single minute:
Burns
Proulx (GK)

Outcomes:
A win would (obviously) put Canada in the final match; we would therefore be qualified for a least the Olympic playoffs.

The ref:
Melissa Borjas (Honduras)

Weather:
Somewhere around 28°C at 9pm local kickoff.

So if I have this correct, the only thing a loss would do is eliminate us from qualifying automatically for the Olympics, we'd have to go in through the back door of winning the third place match.

I can't see that Costa Rican team beating us mind you, unless they were playing possum for some reason in the group stage. They are down 2-0 to the US in the other semi at half-time.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We are playing pretty well.  Maybe not perfect but lots to appreciate.   Fleming had a cracker that requires a perfect save and we are generating other chances.   

I'd say we are playing ok, but have been somewhat wasteful, the lack of production each match from our strikers is a long-term concern. We are being greatly helped by the fact that half the Jamaican team doesn't seem to know how to kick the ball properly (including their keeper who does half of their distribution but keeps giving it straight back to our front row of attackers). That said, they have shown, unlike the other even worse teams we have faced, some directness that could cause problems so I hope we just put them away early in the 2nd half and eliminate the possibility of a fluke or mistake taking it to ET & PK's.

Fleming just doesn't get enough credit in the Canadian media or arguably the fans, she's been Canada's best player for several years now and is proving it once again. She should be considered a national treasure.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Quadruple change 6 minutes in to the 2nd half, which is weird timing

Looks like they’re trying to manage minutes for the final. Makes sense given the temperatures they’ve been playing in and the relative lack of punishment if we don’t make the final at all. 

Edited by footballfreak

And its 3 nil now :) !

Overall I feel good about the final. Sure they haven't massively dominated, except for the trail end of the game against Trinidad and Tobago but honestly that's not this team does. They get the results they need and they move forward. That's how they won gold and that's how they have a perfect sheet in this tournament.

To be perfectly honest, its difficult to justify Concacaf getting 4 World Cup spots on the basis of the overall level of play in the region after seeing all teams play in this tourney. I know Jamaica was apparently missing one of their best players, but even so, they overall looked woeful, and surprisingly slow. And they are going to the World Cup.

11 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Unrelated to tonight’s game, but it’s been bugging me all night:

Who was Canada’s top left back before Chapman? I feel like I’m doing someone a major disservice.

I think that's where they played Lauren Sesselman, though she may have been moved to CB for a while, I can't remember. But she's the first name which sprung to my mind.

37 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think that's where they played Lauren Sesselman, though she may have been moved to CB for a while, I can't remember. But she's the first name which sprung to my mind.

Interesting. I remember her exclusively as a CB, but then again I try not to remember her at all. What a frustrating player. 😕