Canada vs Trinidad and Tobago - Tuesday, July 5th - 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Greater Monterrey , Mexico

CONCACAF W Championship
Group Stage Match #1
Canada vs Trinidad and Tobago
Tuesday, July 5 2022
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific
Estadio BBVA, Greater Monterrey, Mexico

Broadcast:
ONESOCCER (live) , CBC Sports (replay)
https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/watch/ (official options outside Canada)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwgiYHXSvdI   ← That is the official CONCACAF YouTube broadcast. You will need a VPN if you are in a country where someone has paid for the broadcast rights. If you have one, try setting your VPN to Japan. @The Ref

Preliminary Rosters:
https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/news/2022-concacaf-w-championship-preliminary-rosters-announced/

Final Rosters:
https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/news/2022-concacaf-w-championship-final-rosters-announced/

Tonight's ref:
Katia Garcia (from Mexico)

Weather:
33°C at 9pm local kickoff

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

12 minutes ago, vancanman said:

How many goals should we have by now.

What an awful first half. Awful wayward passes, awful decision making (including that moment where Beckie scored when offside - Sinclair should not have passed to her ).

It is like the team spent too much time in the air conditioned hotel and are struggling in the heat.

Well, they were slow to get the goalfest going but once they started with the second things really got going.  I thought the starters did pretty well and were just a bit unlucky to not have more goals but hard to deny that the subs had the desired effect and that many may have played themselves into contention for a starting spot next time around.  Great to see the quality of the younger players coming up through the ranks.  

Besides the obvious choices in young players, I'm really pleased with how Jayde Riviere is coming along.  She just keeps getting better, and who knows where her ceiling will be?  St. Georges and Carle have stiff competition for the right back position.  If Jade Rose can develop into a contender at center back, we'll have a solid and deep back line for a long time to come.

Edited by rkomar

I caught the replay on CBC. Difficult game to assess, the subs all looked great but how much of that was T&T's players turning into treacle as the game went on and they got exhausted?

And am I right that Canada can clinch a WC spot with a win against Panama in their next match? If so, that would be a remarkably short WCQ campaign for a successful qualification

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I caught the replay on CBC. Difficult game to assess, the subs all looked great but how much of that was T&T's players turning into treacle as the game went on and they got exhausted?

And am I right that Canada can clinch a WC spot with a win against Panama in their next match? If so, that would be a remarkably short WCQ campaign for a successful qualification

That is correct.  Top two in the group go to the WC.  But only the winner of the tournament is guaranteed a spot in the Olympics.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think that has to be a big part of why the goals started coming more easily.  I think our attackers also figured out that the keeper wasn't as good at stopping shots along the ground.

Saw the whole game.  We had difficulty breaking through the packed defence from T&T.  That difficulty may come to bite us on the behind later on.  It wasn't until the late second goal that T&T became unglued and stopped defending that we were able to score a bunch.

Edited by The Ref