Match Thread: 2020 Voyaguers Cup Final - Forge v Toronto FC - June 4, 2022

Honestly, I feel that this might be for the best for the CPL in the long run. If Forge had won their first multileagues trophy would have a ''yeah but'' attached to it. This way when they will the Voyageurs Cup, and they will, nobody is gonna be able to say there is a caveat next to their first win.

Edited by phil03

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ya, he was still jumping up and down 😂

Well, TFC win it. Sad and unlucky for Forge but that makes things easier for the CSA because the CCL spot already went to TFC.

I think the 2020 version of TFC was at an MLS level, I find this current version of TFC would barely win the CPL

16 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think the 2020 version of TFC was at an MLS level, I find this current version of TFC would barely win the CPL

Yeah, I was thinking before the game that Pozuelo and Osorio might be the only two guys you could say are too good for CPL. Even Bradley might not be too good for CPL anymore, although he would be top tier in CPL at least. Their young players you could say all would fit right in at the CPL level (no disprespect meant. Great for teenagers, but TFC aren't exactly lighting up MLS).

16 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I mean, TFC still has solid elements and their season isn't over yet and they aren't that far away from the playoffs, but yeah: in 2020 TFC was a legit contender in MLS, who unfortunately tripped in the first round of the playofs. They aren't that team anymore.

Mind you, the decline isn't just one sided either: Forge is very not the team they were in 2020 either.

So it looks like nobody had the problem I experienced with OneSoccer? It might have been due to me having to pause the game for 15 minutes or so to put my kid to bed. During the last couple minutes of regulation, plus the shootout and post game it was doing this thing where (assuming the broadcast is delayed 15 seconds or so at least) all of a sudden I would see a still image, which would be ahead of the sound, then 5 to 10 seconds later the video would continue on from that still frame (sound was synced at this point).

It was annoying, and then it was VERY MADDENING when it stalled on a "OneSoccer" wipe just after the first missed penalty in the shootout. I got to listen to the missed penalty as if it was the radio, but I didn't get to see it until I saw a replay. This so soon after missing Pacific tie up the game in injury time against York United because OneSoccer left for showing some filler content.

Maybe OneSoccer think they are doing me a favour by sparing me from seeing bad things happen to my teams (I'm a York United fan, and a TFC fan), but it's really frustrating. And this despite me getting a Roku specifically because it seems to be the best device for OneSoccer.

22 minutes ago, phil03 said:

I mean, TFC still has solid elements and their season isn't over yet and they aren't that far away from the playoffs, but yeah: in 2020 TFC was a legit contender in MLS, who unfortunately tripped in the first round of the playofs. They aren't that team anymore.

Mind you, the decline isn't just one sided either: Forge is very not the team they were in 2020 either.

Yeah you’re right about Forge, but I would argue overall that the CPL is better than it was in 2020

It was a really fun game to be at.  The 13,700 fans were quite loud and the Barton Street Battalion were fantastic as normal.  I believe that is the biggest crowd we’ve had since the League Opener!  I’m so proud of how Forge played today.  We really were the better team for most of the game.  A bounce hear it there and we would have been hoisting the championship!

It was the first time since their inception that I’ve ever cheered against TFC, and it was a strange thing because even though I was one of the first Barton Street Battalion members, like many I am also a former TFC season ticket holder and I still go to several games a year.

The level of play for the Canadian Premier league has certainly increased since it’s inception and that was on display tonight.  It was really one of the best Canadian Championship games ever.

What a night of football in The Hammer, 4 years ago a match like this would have been just a dream as well as the thought of me delivering the Voyageurs Cup in my home town! It was so intense when I was at field level between the 2 benches for the last 10 minutes and pk's , you could see how much this meant to both teams and coaches! If Forge had  nicked this the celebrations at THF would have been epic, as it was I think all of us Forge supporters came away very proud despite another agonizing loss to an MLS team with a budget that dwarfs Forge! I got a chance to talk to many players from both teams as well as their respective coaches which was great! Jacob Shaffleburg and Ralph Priso were very nice in particular and had lots of time and interest to chat! A night I will always remember!👍

Decided last minute to attend the match and wasn’t disappointed. Fun game, atmosphere was great; felt like a true cup final. Especially happy how it all went down last night when you consider all the mocking the match received when it was scheduled.

BTW having no extra time when it’s tied after 90 is ridiculous. They need to change that. This is the hill I will die on.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, baulderdash77 said:

It was a really fun game to be at.  The 13,700 fans were quite loud and the Barton Street Battalion were fantastic as normal.  I believe that is the biggest crowd we’ve had since the League Opener!  I’m so proud of how Forge played today.  We really were the better team for most of the game.  A bounce hear it there and we would have been hoisting the championship!

It was the first time since their inception that I’ve ever cheered against TFC, and it was a strange thing because even though I was one of the first Barton Street Battalion members, like many I am also a former TFC season ticket holder and I still go to several games a year.

The level of play for the Canadian Premier league has certainly increased since it’s inception and that was on display tonight.  It was really one of the best Canadian Championship games ever.

Same here! I am a SSH holder for Forge and TFC and on the night, I was fully with Forge and cheered (and groaned) during the game 

45 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Was supposed to drive to the match from Brampton but family commitments got in the way. Was the crowd pro Forge? 

Of course.  It was probably 85/15.   Forge fans didn’t give TFC fans a hard time though.

Ill say this though.- there could easily be a big rivalry between Forge and TFC, much more than the made up York/Forge rivalry.  Both ownership groups should take notice.

13 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Of course.  It was probably 85/15.   Forge fans didn’t give TFC fans a hard time though.

Ill say this though.- there could easily be a big rivalry between Forge and TFC, much more than the made up York/Forge rivalry.  Both ownership groups should take notice.

If your 85/15 estimate is accurate, that would mean ~2000 TFC fans.  That's a big away contingent for Canadian soccer and would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

If your 85/15 estimate is accurate, that would mean ~2000 TFC fans.  That's a big away contingent for Canadian soccer and would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

There was a big TFC contingent.  The visiting supporters section was full and the section beside it was nearly full of TFC supporters groups.    

Then there was some TFC fans peppered through the stadium.

Having a 1.5 sections of away game supporters with their drums and making lots of noise made it a great atmosphere.  

This was like a true football derby and was a ton of fun.  Like I said, if this was a regular occurring event; I think this could turn into a true rivalry.

Bigger issues than this TBH with our national teams 

but as a long  time TFC SSH- not in supporters sections and Forge SSH too ( non Battalion side )

am surprised and sad what happened to the South end/ road support for TFC

No Capo’s nor calibration for the V Cup match in Hammer 

a bunch of random supporters only - no synch no party 

seems the Inebriatti who were not at the V cup match are the only true supporters  home or away 

On 6/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, Kent said:

Yeah, I was thinking before the game that Pozuelo and Osorio might be the only two guys you could say are too good for CPL. Even Bradley might not be too good for CPL anymore, although he would be top tier in CPL at least. Their young players you could say all would fit right in at the CPL level (no disprespect meant. Great for teenagers, but TFC aren't exactly lighting up MLS).

Bradley is only on the team because he is the coach’s son 😜

Edited by SoCalTransport