2022 Concacaf League

First round Pacific I think should have a realistic chance of winning. It gets a lot tougher in the 2nd round if they make it there though. They potentially would have to play a Costa Rican team in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. In the other half of the draw, Olimpia is probably the only team at the level of the Costa Rican teams.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, Kent said:

First round Pacific I think should have a realistic chance of winning. It gets a lot tougher in the 2nd round if they make it there though. They potentially would have to play a Costa Rican team in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. In the other half of the draw, Olimpia is probably the only team at the level of the Costa Rican teams.

The round of 16 schedule is out, if we get past Waterhouse we play Herediano at home on 16 August, return leg the following Tuesday in Costa Rica.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/concacaf-league/article/concacaf-announces-2022-scotiabank-concacaf-league-round-of-16-schedule/

8 hours ago, ted said:

Aaaaand things off to a bumpy start for PFC. Flight to Toronto this evening was delayed until (maybe) 6:00 am tomorrow. Not sure what that does to the connection to Kingston (Jamaica).

Just got back from vacay. Rule #1 do not fly thru Toronto 

Never thought I'd see the day that I'd rather fly thru the US rather than Toronto 

Very excited for this.. I think if Pacific can make a run it will do wonders to enhance their profile

Edited by SpursFlu

13 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Just got back from vacay. Rule #1 do not fly thru Toronto

Apparently the issue was that some players don't have the required Visas to fly though US Airports so they had to go to a Canadian airport with direct flights to Jamaica.

On 7/24/2022 at 9:44 PM, ted said:

Apparently the issue was that some players don't have the required Visas to fly though US Airports so they had to go to a Canadian airport with direct flights to Jamaica.

Why our Saturday game in Winnipeg hasn't been rescheduled is mind boggling. Travel is going to be brutal going from the island to Jamaica, then Winnipeg, and back in a week. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why our Saturday game in Winnipeg hasn't been rescheduled is mind boggling. Travel is going to be brutal going from the island to Jamaica, then Winnipeg, and back in a week. 

Especially as we still have played at least one game more than the rest of the league.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:01 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The round of 16 schedule is out, if we get past Waterhouse we play Herediano at home on 16 August, return leg the following Tuesday in Costa Rica.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/concacaf-league/article/concacaf-announces-2022-scotiabank-concacaf-league-round-of-16-schedule/

Pacific was scheduled to be playing in Hamilton against Forge on August 16th, so if they do advance, the league match will have to be rescheduled. 

3 minutes ago, masster said:

Pacific was scheduled to be playing in Hamilton against Forge on August 16th, so if they do advance, the league match will have to be rescheduled. 

I'd like to go but Tuesdays are a bad day for me, as I work Wed morn in Van.

Unless there were some Pacific fans in Vancouver who'd come back on the last ferry ;)

On 8/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, narduch said:

Updated bracket.

image.png.d2839be281217c88b4becc9094f26cf6.png

Don't think it is an exagerration to say that Pacific has drawn the hardest rival left. Should be an excellent test, but I'd say our odds with Herediano must be lower than they would be for any other rival, except perhaps the other CR team, Alajuelense.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't think it is an exagerration to say that Pacific has drawn the hardest rival left. Should be an excellent test, but I'd say our odds with Herediano must be lower than they would be for any other rival, except perhaps the other CR team, Alajuelense.

Herediano seems to have started the new Costa Rica season pretty hot too.

Perhaps only the Honduran teams would be worse (Olimpia, Motagua).

Even if Pacific advance they will get a Costa Rican or Honduran team in the quarter finals. Which should also be tough.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herediano seems to have started the new Costa Rica season pretty hot too.

Perhaps only the Honduran teams would be worse (Olimpia, Motagua).

Even if Pacific advance they will get a Costa Rican or Honduran team in the quarter finals. Which should also be tough.

An advantage is that though the playoff race could be tight, they don't have to obsess with winning the regular season. 

So far, to be sure, their results in busy weeks with travel for Concacaf have not been bad, but we'll see if that holds up.

True, CR teams also have multiple phase leagues, so they are in a similar situation.

If we get past Herediano, we play the return game at home in the next round.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed, and not just for this round, for the remainder of the bracket, barring upsets. Big underdogs for this matchup, but Pacific has a chance.

I just updated my spreadsheet that tracks the CONCACAF Club Index (but I have no idea how it will be used going forward, even less so than normal, so I won't bother updating the thread I have on it) and I noticed a couple things.

1. There are 2 teams named Alianza in the competition this year. They could meet in the quarter-finals, which would be fun. One is from Panama, and the other from El Salvador.

2. Verdes from Belize drew both games in the first round. Club teams from Belize had lost every game in CONCACAF competition for 6 years before that. Their last positive results were way back in 2015-16 Champions League when there was a 3 team group stage (they actually tied a Mexican team and beat a Panamanian team, both at home).

3. Whoever made the table for CONCACAF Club Index points on Wikipedia made a bunch of mistakes (unless the CONCACAF document that is linked to the Wikipedia entry has changed since).

Edited by Kent
There -> their.