Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Final - Montreal v Forge - May 25, 2022

2 hours ago, gator said:

Forge CB's are way too slow, that is the 2nd time they were easily caught out with a through ball, men against boys so far!

I think it has a lot to do with Achinioti playing in the back, no matter what way we cut it he’s not a natural centre back still.

it’s year two of centreback injuries at Forge, and we’ve done very little to address our depth at the position.

Krutzen/Samuel out and this basically leaves new guy Rama as the only natural central defender. Metusala is able to fill the role but still feels more like an outside back to me due to some sketchy passing, Achinioti is a solid defender and makes good short passes but with his pace he’s still much more effective in the midfield. 

14 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I think it has a lot to do with Achinioti playing in the back, no matter what way we cut it he’s not a natural centre back still.

it’s year two of centreback injuries at Forge, and we’ve done very little to address our depth at the position.

Krutzen/Samuel out and this basically leaves new guy Rama as the only natural central defender. Metusala is able to fill the role but still feels more like an outside back to me due to some sketchy passing, Achinioti is a solid defender and makes good short passes but with his pace he’s still much more effective in the midfield. 

I'm agreeing with this one.  It's still relatively early in the CPL season...still time to come together as a team.  However, even with last season's successes (first overall...good Concacaf run), the team badly needed help at centre back.   It's rather inconceivable that the team did not know that Krutzen would be unavailable until July and that it disrupts the team's style when Achinioti-Jonsson has to drop back into central defence.  More effort needed to be put into finding help in this area...the signings of Campbell and Hojabrpour were billed as a coup, but the money spent on Hojabrpour might have been better spent on a CB.  I'll give Owolabi-Belewu and Rama some time to settle, but not having a true CB to replace / play with Krutzen (when he returns) is really having an impact on this club (defending set pieces, an aerial presence on corners, and disrupting the flow by having players play out of position).  The gulf in quality and ability to play with the "big boys" has been ever present when playing Cruz Azul and CF Montreal yesterday.  Here's hoping things go better against TFC on June 4th.

Edited by McFan70