Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Final - HFX Wanderers v Toronto - May 24, 2022

15 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Is there a buzz for this match in Halifax?

They’re saying it sold out in 24 hours.  I think there’s a buzz, similar to last year when CF Montreal came to town… this seems a bit more special because TFC was the first Canadian MLS team and they won the MLS Cup once.

This article describes some of the connections between the teams:

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/its-a-pretty-special-connection-wanderers-gear-up-for-canchamp-showdown-with-tfc

Was at Forge v Halifax last Friday - came from Oakville for the match and first time at the grounds 

was very impressed by the support from the Kitchen - Loud and full voice all 90 and after the game too

Fans will be into this game from the first whistle too so an early goal for HFX would be something !

I’m looking forward to Shaffelburg vs Fernandez, assuming they’re both able to play.  I’ve seen enough of Jacob now to know I’m scared of his speed.

I just hope we can keep it close.  Based on what I’ve seen this year I struggle to see us scoring unless someone produces a goalaso like Bent did against CF Montreal last year.

I'm curious to see TFC's lineup.  They're already playing six or seven Canadians each match so it's not like there's any need to change things up on that front.  Pozuelo is questionable for injury reasons.  I'm assuming Westberg will get the call in net.  So I guess the only real question would be whether they stay with a typical line up including Jimenez, Bradley, and Salcedo down the middle or switch up those three for guys who wouldn't ordinarily start.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Akinola ---------- Perruzza

Nelson ----- Osorio ------- Priso ------ Kerr

Petrasso -- Mavinga -- MacNaughton - Chung/Thompson

Ranjitsingh

If you're really going for as much Canadian content as possible, you can now replace Mavinga with Adam Pearlman, a young defender TFC just brought up from TFCII on a short term contract.  (Actually, anything that replaces Mavinga is probably a good idea in my books.)

Just ran into some fans on the way to the grounds who told me they just drove 500km to get here, excitement is building.

(Half of them we’re wearing TFC gear but I told them I got it, haha, I cheer for them in certain circumstances as well, just not tonight!)

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just ran into some fans on the way to the grounds who told me they just drove 500km to get here, excitement is building.

(Half of them we’re wearing TFC gear but I told them I got it, haha, I cheer for them in certain circumstances as well, just not tonight!)

Good to hear people are interested.

Actually, I suspect most of us here cheer for more than one team.  I'd cheer for Halifax against anyone except TFC.

Interesting lineup , close to what I though although no Garcia.  Perhaps it won’t be three up top and Daniels will fall back to clog the midfield… Salter and Samb will have to help too ha.

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

TFC lucky they aren't playing one of the better CPL sides 

There's 5 better players (in my opinion) on the 7-player TFC bench than on the pitch.

6 if you count Bono.

Oops, I forgot to turn on the game until 6:30 pm. Seems way too early to be watching soccer on a weekday. It's a good job I don't live on the west coast!

Edited by nfitz

Well well well… much better today.  I’m expecting Osorio and Shaff to come on here and TFC to start playing with a bit more urgency.

The longer this goes the more I expect us to back off and move more numbers behind the ball.