Match Thread: April 24, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v Valour

Fun game to watch for the neutral. I mean Valour supporter. Though this game, and others has me worried as far as attendance goes. League management has REALLY bottled it promotion wise, I fear. I have brought foreign born Canadians to Valour games. Never heard a peep of a complaint about the quality of football. But the penetration on the Perm Res/New citizen market is just not there. Which is truly, where the main heart of the football market is in this country.

6 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

Fun game to watch for the neutral. I mean Valour supporter. Though this game, and others has me worried as far as attendance goes. League management has REALLY bottled it promotion wise, I fear. I have brought foreign born Canadians to Valour games. Never heard a peep of a complaint about the quality of football. But the penetration on the Perm Res/New citizen market is just not there. Which is truly, where the main heart of the football market is in this country.

What should they be doing to hit the perm/res new citizen market??  How would you reach that market?

9 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

What was the attendance? I thought the crowd looked pretty good. And sounded pretty good, considering the circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What should they be doing to hit the perm/res new citizen market??  How would you reach that market?

Valour did a promo their first year where they opened up more of the stadium gave free tickets to new immigrants because (if I’m remembering right) they had to postpone a game. Atmosphere was great that game.

Edited by Wippersuna

43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That is a great question. At this point, I don't think I have an answer. Perhaps engaging with expat cultural organizations? There are quite a few private Portuguese clubs here in Winnipeg for example. Sponsoring events/ticket giveaways. Not just for CL stuff. But for derbies. Maybe this is already happening in other markets. In this city, I think it has been lacking, though there are others on here with more direct knowledge of Valour operations who could make more educated comments than I can.

Edited by Wingback6

43 minutes ago, jonovision said:

What was the attendance? I thought the crowd looked pretty good. And sounded pretty good, considering the circumstances.

It may be part of the problem of playing in such a large stadium. Looked empty on the far stand. Realistically, we need smaller, sport specific stadiums. Makes it look bad for the neutral to see empty stands. RE: Valour, I think we should actually develop and use the neighbouring field where the Bisons used to play... Don't think WFC gives AF either way though, TBH.

I feel like IGF sucks for Valour games even beyond optics. People are willing to drive out there to see the Bombers but they’re established and it’s really so far out of the way for anyone north of Portage. If they played at the Forks like the Goldeyes you would have to think they’d draw better. I mean there’s no way baseball is as popular as soccer in the city. 

Edited by Wippersuna

3 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

I feel like IGF sucks for Valour games even beyond optics. People are willing to drive out there to see the Bombers but they’re established and it’s really so far out of the way for anyone north of Portage. If they played at the Forks like the Goldeyes you would have to think they’d draw better. I mean there’s no way baseball is as popular as soccer in the city. 

We all know that a more intimate, more central stadium would be better for fans. But the value of Valour to its owners (the Blue Bombers) is filling dates at IG Field. So they're staying. The location isn't ideal but it could be worse (Spruce Meadows, Langford).