Toronto FC II in MLS NEXT Pro 2022 season

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

simply because tfc is willing to pay millions for their second team to play in a pro league and montreal isnt..second team of montreal is amateur outside of those who had signed first team deals while toronto brought in pros like cela and karajovanovic

Really? Think there's enough fully professional contracts involved to justify calling it a pro league even if the roster rules were written in a way that makes it possible for a few of the less keen franchises to operate on a significantly lower budget than the likes of TFC II.

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/about/roster-guidelines

2022 MLS NEXT PRO ROSTER COMPOSITION

An MLS NEXT Pro club's active roster is comprised of up to 35 players, all of whom are eligible for selection to each official match during the MLS NEXT Pro Season.

24 roster slots (1-24) may be filled with professional players. These roster slots include International and Domestic players, and players on loan.

11 roster slots (25-35) may be filled with amateur players. There shall be a maximum of five (5) MLS NEXT youth academy players per team on the field during an official match.

A player is eligible to participate as an amateur (academy) player, provided that:

a. he is under the age of 21 before the official start of the season,
b. he has not competed in any college or university soccer programs,
c. he has never been signed or recognized as a professional player as defined by the NCAA or FIFA, and
d. he currently plays, or previously played, for the Club's MLS NEXT academy, or for a team which has a documented affiliation with the Club.

Before you try to turn this into a CanPL vs MLS thing remember I've always thought the Canadian MLS teams farming out the most promising 18-23 year olds that have emerged from their academy to separately branded affiliates in CanPL would have been the better way to go for both parties than having reserve teams.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I remember reading CFMU23 was basically all U20 players, not actually U23. So it's more akin to TFC III than TFCII. TFC2 is mostly 19-23 year olds. Same as Whitecaps 2 (in MLSNP) and Whitecaps U19 (in L1BC). 

Tfc3 did similar in past years of L1O as CFMU23 did this year (ie.finishing mid table) and Whitecaps U19 in L1BC this year. Which considering its basically teens against 22+ players is pretty good. But TFC  moved TFC3 out to the USDAA so they could face other U20 players instead of adults.

Basically it's this below (CFM doesn't have a real B team)

TFC/VWFC/CFM

TFC2/WFC2/(no team) 

TFC3/WCU19/CFU23(really U20) 

Edited by rydermike

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:
Before you try to turn this into a CanPL vs MLS thing remember I've always thought the Canadian MLS teams farming out the most promising 18-23 year olds that have emerges from their academy to separately branded affiliates in CanPL would have been the better way to go for both parties than having reserve teams.

For the record you brought it up. Not me.

I wasn't thinking of the CPL at all when I said Next Pro isn't a Pro league. Because it is isn't. It's a Reserve league. Which is a different kettle of fish.

I don't consider the EPL Reserve League a proper Pro league either for the record.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It's a reserve league.

Come on guys. You don't have to do propaganda for MLS

Reserve league or not, if their salaries are as good as, if not better than CPL, then it's a professional league. You get paid = you are pro. 

MLSNP is a higher level than L1O/PLSQ

Edited by rydermike

Just now, narduch said:

Ok.

It's stil a glorified reserve league though.

I hadn't seen your last post prior to mine (we posted them at the same time). I get what you mean by "not a proper pro league". I do kind of agree, but really TFC has no choice there but to have an MLSNP team. CPL doesn't want B teams, USL wanted the MLS teams out, and Can Tier 3 is too low. So really there's no choice but to have an MLSNP team, so I won't knock them for that. Its more of a result of the mess of the US soccer pyramid being all separate entities rather than united. 

Just now, rydermike said:

I hadn't seen your last post prior to mine (we posted them at the same time). I get what you mean by "not a proper pro league". I do kind of agree, but really TFC has no choice there but to have an MLSNP team. CPL doesn't want B teams, USL wanted the MLS teams out, and Can Tier 3 is too low. So really there's no choice but to have an MLSNP team, so I won't knock them for that. Its more of a result of the mess of the US soccer pyramid being all separate entities rather than united. 

Again. Not arguing why TFC is playing in the league.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Will Montreal's model turn out to be be more productive than what TFC and Whitecaps are doing?

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Again. Not arguing why TFC is playing in the league.

That's a my bad. When I was typing my comment I was kind of replying to both your comment (first line) and Ansem's original comment in today's message (second line) , but instead of keeping it separate it kind of blended together (since I didn't quote his comment) . Sorry about that. 

Edited by rydermike

On 10/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, narduch said:

Next Pro isn't a pro league.

It is actually an USSF sanctioned D3 league where the old MLS reserve division was not. While MLSNP does have an independent team in it and a plan for more I believe this team of all the non-MLS pro opportunities in North America will always have the most mixed bag of teams because of different levels of commitment from the parent club. But that is completely different from what players will perceive as the best opportunity for their careers. Mo for example chose Crew 2 over staying in CPL and that worked out for him. Duante Campbell for instances after many years with TFC II and a stint with Valour went to Galaxy 2. Guys will always bounce between these leagues and land where they think is best for them at the moment.