Match Thread: April 16, 2022 - Forge v Cavalry

It's our first home CPL match of the season and I am really looking forward to this one vs the horses, both teams should be up for it after road losses in week 1 making this an interesting affair! It looks like the weather has improved from the forecast of certain rain, I can't remember the last Forge match I was at when it didn't rain or snow, I'll be bringing my GoreTex just in case!

I'm just home from the match, it was so good to get out to THF and watch Forge again! That was a mostly entertaining match that had a bit of everything from great strikes to questionable defending and a couple of key non pk calls from the ref which I thought both could have been given! Forge looked a little flat after the early strike giving them a lead and it was no surprise when Cavalry levelled then nosed in front, Forge had some late chances and finally  capitalized on one, a draw was about right I think! 

On the Pacific vs Forge thread I said I did not have much faith in Campbell. I'd like to take that back. The nice thing about seeing a game live is you can zero in on individual players. He has a lot of strength to his play. It is absolutely possible he could thrive here. That being said, it was great to see some live footy again!

Nice to be back in the stadium today. When the sun came out it was actually pretty nice. The wind is still a bit crazy, and for some reason we insisted on playing it through the air in the first half. The reffing was inconsistent across the board today.

I thought Campbell actually looked very good in the first half. His hold-up play provides something that the rest of our attackers don't really have. I'm not sure if it will work using both Woobens and him up top, but they both made some decent individual plays today.

Nanco was the one offensive player that looked poor to me. He's fast as ever, but he just turns over the ball way too much.

I liked what Caldeira seemed to bring in his short stint on the field. I think he was a bit eager on the one cross that he fired in.

Our biggest issue today seemed to be playing the ball out of the back. I know this board seems to rate Metusala highly, but this isn't the first game where he's looked jittery on the ball. Achinioti was maybe the only defender who looked comfortable on the ball today. With Krutzen out until possibly July, I'm a bit concerned for our backline.

Henry was good today I thought. The second goal was a great ball placement, and the first was a tough rebound that should've been cleared.

My son got to be one of the “mascots” who walk the players out of the tunnel before this game. Dominic Samuel was as nice a guy as I had heard he was. My son said he was really nice and he seemed to try to help to ease my son’s nerves (he was quite nervous). All of the players seemed quite nice to be honest. Nanco made a joke about how he made sure to line up near the younger kids so he didn’t line up next to a child who was taller than he was, which made a few kids (and adults) laugh. 
My son also got to play at half time on the pitch which is an experience he won’t soon forget either. 

As for the actual game, two great goals for forge and a non-penalty which everyone around us was sure should have been called. A bit of physical play from both teams, getting away with a possible penalty against, and a few big misses and saves by both keepers meant the game had a bit of it all. Add in warmer than expected weather and it was a great day out, and we are already looking forward to going back for another game. 

E5E4130A-1A1C-4614-92C4-BDFFE4E261A5.jpeg

Edited by maccaliam
Spelling

14 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Nice to be back in the stadium today. When the sun came out it was actually pretty nice. The wind is still a bit crazy, and for some reason we insisted on playing it through the air in the first half. The reffing was inconsistent across the board today.

I thought Campbell actually looked very good in the first half. His hold-up play provides something that the rest of our attackers don't really have. I'm not sure if it will work using both Woobens and him up top, but they both made some decent individual plays today.

Nanco was the one offensive player that looked poor to me. He's fast as ever, but he just turns over the ball way too much.

I liked what Caldeira seemed to bring in his short stint on the field. I think he was a bit eager on the one cross that he fired in.

Our biggest issue today seemed to be playing the ball out of the back. I know this board seems to rate Metusala highly, but this isn't the first game where he's looked jittery on the ball. Achinioti was maybe the only defender who looked comfortable on the ball today. With Krutzen out until possibly July, I'm a bit concerned for our backline.

Henry was good today I thought. The second goal was a great ball placement, and the first was a tough rebound that should've been cleared.

My impression was that with the more distinct lines of the 3-4-3 they were playing, they were disconnected. Though I'm not even sure what position Jensen was playing. For the first three years, Jonsson and/or Cisse more or less just sat in front of the D and were the first choice for the outlet, centrally. But we would often move the ball early to the wings with Awuah and Grant playing as wingbacks. Sissoko might as well not have been on the field he saw so little of the ball in the first half. Nanco had some good runs, but his passing was not great. Generally wasn't working yesterday for long stretches, and several times in the first half they seemed confused about who was defending what or whom. Bekker got burned on the first goal and just stood there watching. It's kind of bizarre in the replay, he pokes his left foot nowhere near the ball, almost like he has no depth perception. Did he lose a contact or something?

I just don't see Pacius and Campbell working as a forwards. Pacius isn't a great passer, and from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look like Campbell is either. Is it wise to have two pure target men up front? Maybe if you have really good play-making mids behind them. Without Babouli, and with Bekker having to play more defence, I doubt that's going to work, But somehow Bobby seems to make everything work eventually, so we'll see.

Edited by Cicero

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Though I'm not even sure what position Jensen was playing.

Yep my partner made a similar comment during the game. I think he was meant to be playing a Sabak-like role in the midfield, but got caught roaming very high a lot. I'd have to imagine that is part of why he came off at half, probably had some first start energy.